Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reptilegardener777

Scale-Like Egg Sacs?

reptilegardener777
10 years ago

Hello, Everybody,

I received some "Fishnet Stockings" Coleus, but they have a lot of scale-like growths. Here is a picture of something that looks very similar to what I have: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Hds23hCOov4/UHulX1C3ZoI/AAAAAAAAAKk/wqwkPvl-GcU/s1600/scales.jpg

When I remove them, they either a) pop and ooze some kind of slime, or b) come off nicely but are filled with a white dust-like material. With regard to the latter, they seem to serve as egg sacks from which emerge small white bugs (my camera can't pick them up with good detail, they're so small). Also, there are many small whitish-yellow insects resembling green peach aphids.

However, I know that scales themselves are insects, so I am wondering if it is possible that I have a combination of scales in combination with aphids? (I assume this, given the vesicles' different removal reactions).

One more possible piece of helpful information is that the plants are potted in "EcoScraps" soil, which is said to be almost completely made up of composted fruits and vegetables. Is it possible that some pest eggs are in the soil, as hitch-hikers on the produce that helps form it?

Comments (2)