Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jottle

What's eating my Lantana?

jottle
10 years ago

I've been having an ongoing issue with pests eating my lantana. In the picture, you can see that something is voraciously gobbling up my lantana leaves, old and new. Directly across from these lantana is a wall of ivy that's home to many moths. I suspect the moth larva are being laid in my lantana and are eating it constantly. If I shake the lantana, I occasionally see small moths, but am not sure if they are moths because of their size. I have yet to ever find any larva or caterpillars in my lantana no matter what time of day or night I look. Does this look like just a general leaf eater problem? I've used various pesticides that take out mold and white flies etc (copper as well as pyrethrin based), but it doesn't do squat. Should I just buy some Thuricide to take care of the problem? Please recommend some treatments.

This post was edited by Jottle on Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 12:32

Comments (14)

• jottle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's just the issue I'm trying to address rhizo. I've tried doing exactly what you suggest multiple times, but I've never found a single pest despite churning up the dirt and inspecting with a flashlight at night after watering. I've even tried doing this at dusk and at midnight, and even at 3:00. I never see a single pest day or night, but my lantana is constantly eaten up each and every day (as demonstrated in the picture). Is there a common leafeater for lantana?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

as rhiz said ... no treatment.. until an ID ..... period ...

come on... take up the gauntlet.. you can find them ...

besides... there is a possibility.. they are gone... and that is why you cant find them... and if that is the case... then anything you use.. is simply pollution ...

you have already seen the moths .... so those caterpillars are gone ...

as a last case chance.. snip off all the affected leaves... and see if there is further damage ...

i have no adversity to going full on chemical ... but i never use it.. unless i can find something to slaughter ...

ken

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Perhaps snails?

• jottle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Given that that the leaves being eaten are from all parts of the plant, including the very top where there's new growth (~2ft off the ground), I'm thinking these are caterpillars climbing up there. I've never seen any slugs or snails at all at any time of day or after it rains. The other major pests for lantana are all sap sucking for the most part, and not leaf eating (mites, mealy bugs, whiteflies, aphids, lacebugs etc)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Jottle, call your local extension office to see if there's a particular pest in your location that feeds on lantana.

• west_gardener
    10 years ago

I grow lantana's but I've never seen anything like the damage you show in your post.
    Whenever I have a problem, like mildew, frost damage etc..., I just cut them down to the ground, and start again and cut way down on the watering. They like it dry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lantana

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Lantana is a host plant to many butterfly caterpillars:
    Buckeye
    Checkered white
    Dogface
    Gulf fritillary
    Julia
    Pipevine swallowtail
    Red-banded hairstreak
    Variegated fritillary
    White M hairstreak
    White peacock
    Zebra swallowtail

Is your Lantana for a butterfly garden?

• Kathe
    7 years ago

While lantana is touted as major nectar plant for all sorts of butterflies, I have never seen anything written about lantana as a host plant except for moths and one of the hairstreak butterflies. I suspect the problem is moths.

• zzackey
    7 years ago

Snails and slugs are night feeders. You can put out a tuna can full of beer and they will drink it and die.

• jottle
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I totally forgot to update this thread! In the end, I went out in the middle of the night and found 3 well-fed caterpillars chomping away at the lantana. So it was as I had expected. I hand picked the caterpillars and moved them to a nasty's neighbor's front yard. Then I bought some thuricide to get rid of any that I didn't find that night. Things have been good since. I do hope they weren't Monarchs :( There's a ton of moths in the ivy next to my lantana. So I suspect it was all moth caterpillars.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    7 years ago

No, it wasn't monarchs. They can only eat Asclepias plants. If you had taken a pic of them, somebody would probably recognize them. Most caterpillars are only able to eat a few kinds of plants.

• HU-3044847551925
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I know this thread is old, but I feel I need to comment based on something posted earlier. Lantana is a NECTAR plant for most butterflies, NOT typically a HOST plant.

• Jill Tierney
    4 years ago

I too have something seriously eating away at my lantana. My plant looks just like yours, holes all over the poor plant. But there is a huge bush of lantana right across the way, and the leaves are untouched. Could it be that the one that is being eaten is in a pot, and the other one is in the ground about 4 feet up?