Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fungus and Weird Limbs on Bing Cherry Tree

Posted by austinsimonson California (zone 9) (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 21:12

The picture shown is just one of the pictures I have for this question...you can see the rest here:

http://imgur.com/a/MS7c5

Anyways, I have a few questions.

First off, what disease is causing this fungus to grow on the cherry tree? How can is be killed, or is it too late? (Images 1 - 4 in the album)

Next, some of the limbs on my tree are growing downwards and then upwards. It seems a little odd...shouldn't they just be growing in a general upward path? (images 5 - 6 in the album)

Finally, there are like two limbs that grow normally, but then towards the end of them, they start growing flat, I guess. What would cause this to happen? (images 7 - 8 in the album)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo Album

This post was edited by austinsimonson on Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 21:14

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fungus and Weird Limbs on Bing Cherry Tree

That most likely is a comon tree fungus used in much Asian cooking. Few of these are harmful to the trees they grow on.
Tree limbs, branches, grow in repsonse to the sunlight. Sometimes these limbs grow in strange directions because that is how they find the sunlight they need to manufacture the food they synthesize to feed the tree. If these limbs bother you too much they can be pruned.

o

there is a very active fruit forum.. where you might get advice on pruning .. especially if you insert a pic of the whole tree.. right in the post ...

the concern on the fungus.. in my world.. warped as it is.. is whether it is coming from a gaping wound.. or just on bark surface.. and not even knowing what it is/was ... surface stuff.. just wouldnt have bothered me.. beyond wondering ...

ken

o

Those several weird branches have what is called fasciation. Various theories as to the cause. Remove the strange growth but understand that more fasciated growth may show up on the tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here