Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something eating my Peas

Posted by lilpiggy89 Texas (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 22:08

Hello all, my wife and I have recently started a new garden in deep South Texas. We planted some peas in a slightly shaded area by a tree, after the plants grew a bit we noticed something was eating them. Can somebody please provide us some advice on getting this pest off my peas and out of our garden? We are looking at organic / chemical free methods of removal, but all input is appreciated. We are novices, this is our first go at back yard gardening. Thanks in advance.

Image link: Something eating my Peas (17 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something eating my Peas

That is an extremely common caterpillar commonly known as an army worm. They are pests of garden plants of all kinds, as well as of lawns.

o

Thanks for your help in identifying the army worm. I have shared a link to a photo of another type worm I saw, can anybody help in identifying this one please?

Here is a link that might be useful: A different pest

o

Counting my blessings as I have peas growing in the garden, and have seen armyworm moths, but haven't seen armyworms (yet). Maybe it's because the peas and moths are at opposite ends of the property.

Now, the green worm(s) are closer to one's I've seen. But the picture is too blurry to ID. If you can get a much better/clearer image, resubmit, and I'll try to ID it, or can send a link to a great ID site.

o

Yes, I'd need an improved photograph, as well. I would also like to know where you found those insects (what kind of plants and where (roots, leaves, fruits).

Jim, armyworms can be found an ANY kind of plant. I am most familiar with them on lawns. By the way, they are called army worms for the reason that they are rarely found in ones or twos, but in hoards.

o

Yep rhizo - I've heard they can show up in hoards, and be a big problem. Luckily, I've only seen an armyworm moth once a month or so, at night by the front porch light. Hoping it stays that way...

Let us know 'lilpiggy' if you get more information or can post a larger picture.

o

Well after learning one of the pests names(thank you again rhizo),I started reading up on the pest. I did disclaim that we were noobs so I chalk this up to nothing more than my lack of preparation. In any case I found that those leaves which I thought would be good to mulch were actually attracting the pest. I went out and cleaned them out and geeze were there some worms. I got under the top layer of soil and there were more. In total I got about 20 large and small. I hope the link photo below helps in identifying the green one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mr. GreenWorm take 2

o

I think I found the culprit. I have a much better photo. Could someone help me ID it?

Leaf photo: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/InLfBv-Mmn6WDEybFgEDuLZYDkCeb_0Tnl8X2YeE9O4?feat=directlink

Here is a link that might be useful: Bug Photo

o

I found some of those also when cleaning out the area. I will try to get a better photo if when I find another. One good thing is my peas are looking better, I removed the dead foliage and they are producing nicely.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here