Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

White bugs on my Euonymous Bushes

Posted by christy_124 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 28, 09 at 22:10

I have had these bushes for over 15 years and have never had anything attack them. This year however, these little white things are all over them and killing the bush. I clipped the dead part off, then sprayed with a pesticide for shrubs, then sprayed with Murphy's Oil soap. Then new growth started and has continued. However, these white scales are still on the bushes and I sprayed again today. They are awful. Should I cut these bushes all the way down? I don't want to lose them. Thank you for the information. I really appreciate it very much.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: White bugs on my Euonymous Bushes

A picture would be helpful so we could ID these "white things."

RE: White bugs on my Euonymous Bushes

  • Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 29, 09 at 2:17

christy, you may have named your own pest - euonymus scale. While not particularly a problem in my own climate, from the number of posts about them they cause considerable damage other places.

See if this matches your pest -

Here is a link that might be useful: Euonymus Scale

RE: White bugs on my Euonymous Bushes

Hi. I have two very mature euonymus bushes at my house which were planted by the previous owners. They took a no-maintenance approach to the landscaping. I am still trying to undo their mistakes/abuse. The first time I took a good look at my euonymus, there was so much scale I thought it was powdery mildew. Yuk. Luckily, euonymus scale is particular to that plant. I was able to get my infestation under control by using neem oil. A dormant oil spray (like All Seasons) would probably work too. You can buy neem oil online if you can't find it locally. I get mine from even with shipping it is $10 less per quart than any store here.

RE: White bugs on my Euonymous Bushes

We had a bad year for them about a decade ago. I had several types of euonymus in my rockery and also as ground cover near a shade garden. Yes, oil is effective. Mine were polluted as well.

I clipped them down as far as I could, raked up the debris and burnt it, and then just let it fly with hort oil. Decreasing the foliar surface made it a lot easier to get good coverage. I only had to treat it once, and it has never reappeared.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here