Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cenesia_gw

Are these millipedes and how do I get rid of them?

cenesia
12 years ago

Hello!

I'm new to this forum but have been reading about this same pest. I've found many (about 10 or so) of these creepy things on the top soil layer of my potted kaffir lime tree.

I have tried the following sprays but none seem to work:

- Orchard Insect Killer (active ingr: lambda cyhalothrin 0.002%);

- Spinosad 0.001%;

- Insecticidal soap 1%

The creatures curl up for a couple minutes then unwind and simply crawl back around. Can anyone help identify what these creatures are and also how to get rid of them?

I've shared a link below. Thanks for any tips! :)

Image link:

Comments (36)

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

Why do you think you need to "get rid" of millepedes? For the most part millepedes are not harmful in the garden and are really quite beneficial since they help convert organic matter into plant food to help your plants grow.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Millepedes

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

cenesia, while what kimmsr says might be true of your garden, it is not desirable to have a population of millipedes in your containers. They will end up being interested in the roots of your plant.

If that were my plant, I would repot it in some new medium. You may wish to visit the Citrus Forum for some ideas on good mixes for citrus. Anyway, while repotting, I'd add some diatomaceous earth (DE) to the mix and on the surface of the soil once you've repotted. DE can be found in the gardening section of almost any retail outlet. Be sure that you use horticultural/grade and not the DE that is sold for pool filters.

• cenesia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks rhizo_1, I'll try the DE substance you suggested! Hopefully that'll do it.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

I have tried the following sprays but none seem to work:
    - Orchard Insect Killer (active ingr: lambda cyhalothrin 0.002%);
    - Spinosad 0.001%;
    - Insecticidal soap 1%

===>>>

you are a toxic danger ....

they are in the soil ..

change the soil.. and be done with it..

why do you need more chemicals.. or organics ..

crimminey ...

the easiest.. SAFEST solution is staring you in the face ... and you want to go spray/dust more things around ...

ken

PS: the DE is on the surface.. they live under the surface.. if you have drainage holes.. they will use those.. DE is NOT going to solve the problem ... though it might slow them down ... rhiz said change the soil FIRST ... then try DE ....

12 years ago

I also said to add the DE to the mix.

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

Since Millepedes live on decaying organic matter, and need a pretty moist environment, their presence in containers, pots, may be because the growing medium is too moist, too wet, and needs to be allowed to dry more between waterings.
    Some people have a fear of any "bug" and think drastic measures are needed to control each and every one whereas most often simple measures, such as allowing a plants soil to dry more, is all that is needed. The single most common cause of a plants, especially a potted plant, failure is overwatering.

12 years ago

In a peat based medium, simple NORMAL moisture is just fine for millipedes. As a matter of fact, one would need to dry the potting soil to the point of dessication of the plant in order for a little population of these arthropods to evacuate. Drier soil conditions is one of the things that would encourage them to begin feeding on plant roots in earnest.

Millipedes in containers is a simple case of plants being in the wrong place at the right time. They can be brought home from the garden center where storage and maintenance might be an issue, or from the growers who may not practice proper housekeeping in keeping the benches or floors swept. Millipedes can find their way to container plants when they (the plants) are put outside for the summer under a shady tree. A common contaminant is the potting medium, itself. If even a pinhole tear occurs in the plastic bag as it sits in a big pile on the floor of the garden section, millipedes will find their way to that habitat. And, if you've ever been in the back of one of the big delivery trucks direct from the grower in Florida (or wherever) you'll know why you end up with all kinds of 6,8, and zillion-legged creatures in the plants you buy.

• kimpa zone 9b N. Florida.
    12 years ago

If you can see the creatures, pick them out with a gloved hand and either kill them or throw in another part of the garden. I never spray an insect i can catch. But of course I like insects. And some are too fast like the Four-lined bug. That is my enemy and I must squirt them with insecticidal soap.

• radiantpoppy
    12 years ago

Agree with kimmsr. I have had populations of bugs in potted plants that have not done the plants any harm. From what I have seen millipedes are amongst the most harmless of bugs next to pillbugs. I would just leave them alone. If they aren't eating the plant then there isn't a problem.

• anniehall77
    11 years ago

I believe I have either centipede or millepieds that may or may not have arrived with 2 large dracena palm-like plants. Is it possible for either of these bugs to live in the floorboards of an NYC aparment on their own, or would they definitely originate in a plant? I read in earlier posts in this conversation that they may appear due to overwatering? But, that also changing the soil and cleaning roots could work? Should I also clean all of the palm-like leaves? I'm aftraid that cleaning the leaves (or doing anything indoors as we don't have an outdoor space) will allow the bugs to drop or hatch....advice???

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

Neither Millipedes nor Centipedes are pests that need to be gotten rid of, unless they live in the pot of a house plant. If that is what you have then allowing the potting soil to get dryer then normal, or repotting is the best solution.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Millipedes

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

hey annie

it was said.. a bit above: Since Millepedes live on decaying organic matter

then you asked: Is it possible for either of these bugs to live in the floorboards of an NYC aparment on their own, or would they definitely originate in a plant?

==>>>

can you answer your own question??? .. are your floorboards decaying ??? .. they came with the plant ...

ken

• Jasmyn Kim
    8 years ago

I have so many of these millipedes in my garden and I really WANT to get rid of them! So far the suggestions on this thread can't help me...

• Pick them out by hand - firstly mine are in ground not containers, secondly there are so so many (like one every 3 inches from the last in any direction, and that's just the ones moving around on the surface!)

• Less moisture in soil, less organic matter - my plot was bad, lifeless clay without a single worm or bug in sight until I remediate the soil, including lots of O.M... no escaping the rain either, it has been raining twice each night and once each day, for hours each time.

• Don't want to get rid of them - I can't forget it. There are way too many, it's gross when I dig my spade into the ground and hear multiple crunches from their bodies, ugh, and I fear the harm they could do to my pets that I take out in the garden with me often (Giant African Land Snails). Plus they always crawl up my feet! And I often loft a rock up to see a writhing mass of tons of baby lighter colored 'pedes!

I haven't tried any pesticides beside soap solution sprayed o mealy bugs. But I need a cure for the millipedey soil! Please! The plants in the area are cucumber, passiflora, calladium, nandina compacta, and others similar. I'm willing to keep my snails out of the garden if necessary to get rid of the 'pedes.

• kimmq
    8 years ago

Some people seem to be so disconnected to our world that any "bug" they see is one that needs to be eliminated. Millipedes are not harmful in the garden (not even in containers) and are really quite beneficial because the digest decaying organic matter. Without many of these digesters of organic matter we would be buried in our own waste.

kimmq is kimmsr

• Jasmyn Kim
    8 years ago
    is there a way to reduce the populations just a little bit? it just doesn't seem like a healthy or natural balance to have so many concentrated in one small area.
  • kimmq
    8 years ago

Try to determine why you have a large population of centipedes (if that is what you have) and change the conditions that contribute to that large population. Perhaps this article may be of some use. http://www.biokids.umich.edu/critters/Diplopoda/

kimmq is kimmsr

• Jacob Wilkinson
    6 years ago

Is this same thing? If not what is it? And will it harm my plant?

• kimmq
    6 years ago

What is in that picture is too small to properly identify. That insect may be beneficial and not harmful to anything except decaying organic matter.

• zen_man
    6 years ago

Hello Jacob,

" Is this same thing? If not what is it? "

I cropped and enlarged a detail of your photo, and this is what I got.

Since this is a landscape format (horizontal instead of vertical) you can click on the picture for a larger version, and make that a bit larger yet by hitting your F11 key to remove your browser's headings. (Hit F11 again to get your headings back) Even doing all that, I can't tell what that thing is. I think you would need a much closer-up picture for a positive identification.

ZM

• Fori
    5 years ago

You can build a moat or some other barrier if you just want to keep them from traveling, and I'm sure you don't want to use chemicals with a baby in the house. You just need a large dish to hold the plant and its saucer. Add enough water to not get into the plant's saucer. The millipedes won't swim it. Or, instead of water, you can use baby powder or just a thick ring of Vaseline.

Critters that don't fly aren't too hard to keep where they belong, fortunately.

• Snappers
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Wow got an account just to say wtf is wrong with Ken...judgemental much? Someone asked a simple question.

My question- I just found a bunch of centipedes in my fiddle leaf fig potted plant- sounds like best advice is to let dry out a bit to reduce population but no need to do further? Maybe repot it keeps up? Thanks

• Fori
    4 years ago

Are they centipedes or millipedes? They are really very different animals!

• Gina Stipo
    3 years ago

I came looking for answers and found the information to be helpful, esp from Kimmq, but my calm, happy demeanor was destroyed after reading the unkind, rude and spiteful comments by Ken. No One needs that. That is everything that is wrong with the internet and what causes such anger and division in our society. Someone take his access away! 😂

• Daysha Frechetté
    3 years ago

I also just discovered mili/centipedes in my two indoor palm like plants after my 10 month son stuck his hands in the soil, I was absolutely mortified. From reading these posts it’s really bitter sweet... keep them because they are harmless and help nourish the plants but the thought of them being there and having my son touch them makes me sick to my stomach. I’ll dry them out and have hubby clean the soil until what, they come back again? Is this a repeat process or as long as the soil is dry and clean they won’t appear again?

• Daysha Frechetté
    3 years ago

Yuck

• Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Greetings to all ... Wow, this is an old post but always very relevant, right?

Actually, I recently purchased 3 pre-potted plants: Bougainvillea, Pentas Plant, and a large Kale from a popular local farm. They were not pot-bound, so I did not repot them ... Just placed them in my yard. Little did I know all three had millipedes in the soil, and all three eventually died. It was when I uprooted the dead plants that I discovered the millipedes in the soil. Now I know to always repot anything I purchase from them. This soil is very rich in organic matter, so I saved it in a sealed clear plastic bag and solarized it to eliminate the millipedes.

Other Plants & Flowers · More Info

I'm not certain if the millipedes eventually feed on the roots of potted plants, but that appears to be where the issue was. The plants just dried out rather quickly. In fact, I placed a potted succulent on top of the soil of the Bougainvillea and it lost all its root system. At least that one can be easily rerooted.

Millipedes may be beneficial in natural settings but not in potting soil and definitely not in houseplants. Diatomaceous Earth (food-grade DE) does not address the issue. You have to replace the soil ... Especially so if yours is a houseplant. Millipedes do not bite but most people are allergic to a substance they ooze, which causes itching and skin irritation.

• Cel Cast
    3 years ago

Wow best response ever as my plants have also died from the millipedes. Thanks so much foe your info.

• Naeema Gari
    3 years ago

I recently discovered a millipede in my Chinese Evergreen plant indoors. It wasn't doing well for some time, the leaves were yellowing and drying out quickly. I thought I'd repot it. I tipped the pot over and a millipede crawled out of the soil and I freaked! I washed the roots and changed the soil. Now my plant is doing way better. So I'm not sure whether the millipede was harming my plant or I just needed to repot it. Either way it's all good now.

• Glitzy MacPro
    3 years ago

Seems like millipedes are an issue this year. I know the original was from 7 years ago but I too, just found a family of millipedes in my amethyst falls tree. Thankfully, I live in VA and have the option to still just plant her and let nature have her way.

It is a little jarring to discover a million little legs in your potted oxygen givers though. I'm nervous about planting my wisteria so late but I can't take the chance they'll climb their way up to my 33 year old Spider or 26 year old Ivy.

I'd like to apologize to everyone on behalf of those who made rude and condescending comments. There is no excuse for any gardener/harvester (newbie or seasoned) to treat anyone that way. Ignore it and keep at it. We need more growers and caretakers of the Mothers living!

3 years ago

Thank you for your insightful closing comments. We at Gardenweb consider ourselves kindred spirits and family ... tthere is never room for rudeness.

I recommend the use of diatomaceous earth ... it works against these and a little goes a long way. I lost my Egyptian Star to these critters. 😡

• HU-337511688
    3 years ago

I just found so many millipedes in two of my plants. I am so disgusted because they are my house plants and there are so many.

I want to rid my plants of them since I don’t want to have a millipede farm. Being a plant mom is hard enough that I don’t also want to be a millipede mom to 100’s of them. Also don’t want them crawling to my other plants.

They currently are in my Scarlet-Star and Pink Quill which are next two each other on the same side table. They need to be misted and also their cups filled with a little water. So I couldn’t ever fully get rid of them, unless I repot and just hope my plants can survive in a drier climate now.

3 years ago

DE worked for me but not before it killed my Egyptian Star.

Other Plants & Flowers · More Info

• Jmy Andrews
    2 years ago

These things are running over my whole property. Didn't know what they where ,but seen the photo and thats them. Thousands and thousands of them and I have no garden no outside potted plants , but do have a pool at night they cover the whole area of the pool ever night hundreds die in the water ,they cover the sides of my house there in every room inside. My garage rafters are covered, my barn/storage shed covered i can't walk anywhere without stepping on them. Dose anyone know how i can stop these things? Everyday I'm cleaning up dead body's. I thought they would thin out but there not they just keep showing up in large numbers day after

• Anthony Escandon
    2 years ago

If you must get rid of them, put a few slices of apple on top of the soil in the container that they are in. Leave the slices for a few days and they will attract all the critters. Then you can easily scoop out a bunch at once.

• Jessica Meyer
    last month
    last modified: last month

I'm talking millepedes (plural) in your house, not outside people! I brought home a large house plant from the local nursery and a few days later started noticing HUNDREDS OF DEAD AND ALIVE BABY MILLEPEDES in the edges of the carpet and wall in my office!!!!! I've vacuumed them up every other day .. Changing the soil will be a pain because it's a huge pot and plant located upstairs. I'll have to put down a tarp over the carpet to not make a mess. What a pain in the a** to buy and take home!! I learned that a female can lay up to 300 eggs in the soil! I'm also watering the plant as little as possible to no availe.