Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncvettes

Viburnum Chindo Disease?

ncvettes
13 years ago

I have 10 year old Chindo plants going south in a hurry. The leaves a yellowing and have a variety of brown and green splotches. Some cross veins, most don't. I hope the pic shows what I mean. We have 15 along our back property line and they are all in bad shape with at least half the leaves dropped. Other plants in the yard are starting to show similar symptoms. I sprayed everything down 3 times with Bayer Disease Control, and Bayer Natria Disease Control, but no change. Maybe this takes a while? Maybe cut them way down and remove all debris and let them start over? Just keep spraying and see how they do? We're in Raleigh, NC.

Image link:

Comments (6)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

This plant may be somewhat susceptible to a couple of fungal or bacterial disorders. You might want to call your extension office to see if you can send some plant parts to a diagnostic lab for analysis.

I'd not continue spraying until you have an idea of what the problem could be. Fungicides shouldn't be used unless you're pretty sure of the disease agent, and then only sparingly.

I assume that you are well within this plant's hardiness range? Have you inspected along the trunks for any sign of bark splitting (freeze damage) or canker development?

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

Clearly if you've sprayed and sprayed and no change, then the product isn't labeled for what you have. Take a branch in to the Extension Office.

Dan

• ncvettes
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No freeze damage, splitting, physical damage.

Here's a link to some large pics. Perhaps that will help.

https://picasaweb.google.com/smokemup/ViburnumChindo#

Here is a link that might be useful: Chindo Disease

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

I see what looks to be one sort of bacterial spot on the leaf and some sort of canker on the stem. Your Extension Office should be able to ID that more precisely and recommend a treatment if its not too late, which you don't want to count on.

Dan

• hhaines72
    7 years ago

I'd be curious to follow up and see what you found out on this - our Chindo's have the same problem. Was it anything fungal?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    7 years ago

hhaines, look at the date on the original post. I'd consider it unlikely that the OP is still around.