Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Viburnum Chindo Disease?

Posted by ncvettes NC (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 12, 11 at 1:58

I have 10 year old Chindo plants going south in a hurry. The leaves a yellowing and have a variety of brown and green splotches. Some cross veins, most don't. I hope the pic shows what I mean. We have 15 along our back property line and they are all in bad shape with at least half the leaves dropped. Other plants in the yard are starting to show similar symptoms. I sprayed everything down 3 times with Bayer Disease Control, and Bayer Natria Disease Control, but no change. Maybe this takes a while? Maybe cut them way down and remove all debris and let them start over? Just keep spraying and see how they do? We're in Raleigh, NC.

Image link: Viburnum Chindo Disease? (58 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Viburnum Chindo Disease?

This plant may be somewhat susceptible to a couple of fungal or bacterial disorders. You might want to call your extension office to see if you can send some plant parts to a diagnostic lab for analysis.

I'd not continue spraying until you have an idea of what the problem could be. Fungicides shouldn't be used unless you're pretty sure of the disease agent, and then only sparingly.

I assume that you are well within this plant's hardiness range? Have you inspected along the trunks for any sign of bark splitting (freeze damage) or canker development?

o

Clearly if you've sprayed and sprayed and no change, then the product isn't labeled for what you have. Take a branch in to the Extension Office.

Dan

o

No freeze damage, splitting, physical damage.

Here's a link to some large pics. Perhaps that will help.

https://picasaweb.google.com/smokemup/ViburnumChindo#

Here is a link that might be useful: Chindo Disease

o

I see what looks to be one sort of bacterial spot on the leaf and some sort of canker on the stem. Your Extension Office should be able to ID that more precisely and recommend a treatment if its not too late, which you don't want to count on.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here