Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nataneko

What disease is this

nataneko
9 years ago

I purchased pretty healthy raspberry plants in gallon containers. After letting them sit for a couple weeks I planted them. They seemed to be fine for about 2 wee5rdks, then started showing signs of leaf "lightening", new/top leaves becoming light green, kind of neon-ish where the veins are. Now the leaves are browning, drying and dieing. One of the plants is completely destroyed, and one is starting to do the same. What is wrong? What can i do to save them? I am desperate... I didn't use any chemicals, there is no sign of nested insects on them (I am fighting june bugs though, by picking them). Please help! I did use some gypsum (1/2 of recommended), rock dust and calcitic lime (not dolomite lime) very lightly dusted and worked into soil several days prior planting. Can itt cause the problem? What can i do? Thanks in advance for help

Comments (5)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

why are they wet at night ...

if it were the hotter part of the year.. i would look toward mildew

it has nothing to do with what you threw in the hole..

and i would bet its transpalnt shock ...

Rs are biennial as to the canes... this cane would die at the end of this year... and they start looking like this by mid summer.. perhaps you just sped that process up with the transplant ... which means.. the dead one might come back from a new shoot.. i would not presume it dead..

its a bramble.. near impossible to kill .. and i wouldnt spend a nickle.. nor a moment .... trying to 'fix' a problem ...

since you just bought them.. talk with your seller ... they should have been sold 'clean'.. and in all reality ... things dont happen that fast in mother nature ...

so i come back to transplant shock ... or some shock while you held them for weeks before planting.. BTW.. they werent in black pots left in the sun were they??? .. that could be another shock ...

dont love them to death .... they are a bramble ...

ken

• nataneko
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Ken. This is my baby now, so I pamper it :) Maybe next year it will be bramble for me too, haha. 1) They are wet because of dew, I took the pic at night while hunting bugs. 2)I kept them in pots outside no more then 1 1/2-2 weeks, so they adjust to outside before transplanting. 3) And the pots were white, kept in partial shade.

So, you think it is all about roots, root-shock... Should I strip the bed leaves, which is all leaves basically, or cut the cane down? It is primocane variety.

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Not a disease.

But yes, the problem is in the roots. Something that has decreased their function. Several common possibilities -- too wet and/or too dry and/or insufficient roots t support top growth.

What did you do for them while they sat until planting time? Did you water them? If so, how much and how often?

• nataneko
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@Jean. I think I know what happened if it is not a disease. 4-5 days after planting there was 30 F at night. I did cover the plants with huge buckets with heavy weight on them, but in the morning I noticed that several leaves looked a little wilted on edges. After that leaves worsened, and more and more leaves got damaged. I didn't inspect the plants as well before the frost, so not sure if it is the cause, but signs became obvious after it. Could it be the reason? Thanks

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Yes, it definitely could.