Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peterk312

Yellowing leaves on new honeysuckle plant. Can you explain this?

peterk312
13 years ago

Planted a new honeysuckle vine (lonicera japonica) in a container 15" square by about 14" deep. I didn't disturb the roots too much because the vine is flowering. I only spread the roots a bit at the bottom and filled in the container with coarse gravel at the bottom and a compost/perlite/peat moss blend. I gave it some Lilly Miller "Vitamin B1 plant starter," which contains chelated iron, at the recommended amount (supposed to help prevent transplant shock). I was careful to not overwater but only did until the water started coming out of the drainage hole. I'm watering when the soil is dry, about every 5-6 days. Problem is the plant has begun getting yellow leaves both at the bottom and throughout. But note: the yellowing is only the oldest leaves, at the base of each leaf starting from where a leaf joins the stem (the petiole). New growth looks okay. There's no sign of the kind of yellow mottling with green veins that indicates typical iron deficiency. The yellowing is happening from the petiole on older leaves. It's not overwhelming, but it's enough so that I can tell it is progressing. I see no signs of spider mites. Plant is outside and getting about 6 hours of direct sun. It's been exposed to some windy conditions, and I don't know if the leaves can get damaged at the petiole and then start yellowing. Could it be a nitrogen deficiency? The plant was in very light potting soil and was bone dry when I bought it about three weeks ago. Is the yellowing that I describe indicative of some other nutrient deficiency?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting