Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this pest scale

Posted by can-if-i-try kent uk (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 8:00

This pest is all over my Japanese Maple trees. one tree is refusing to open its leaves and looks very sick. Is this scale or something else?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this pest scale

you say its all over the plant ...

but unless i am mistaken.. is there only one in the pic... near dead center???

if so.. i would call that a scale.. pull it off and destroy it ...

it would have to be a severe scale infestation to kill a plant ... like literally covering the whole plant ... so i suspect this has nothing to do with a tree dying ... if it fact it dead.. rather than just late to bud out ... would need some pix of that tree if you want any more than that

and if its just a nub on the branch.. then its not a scale .. lol ...

ken

o

Looks like the out-of-focus branch to the right has quite a few more.

o

Thanks for your reply Ken, I also thought that maybe it was just being late to bud but then I saw the little bugs all over the stems and panicked because I have over 30 Japanese Maples in my garden and do not want to lose any. The first pic gave the best image of the little beast! The picture with this post is the tree that is most affected.

Yesterday, I went to my local garden center with the pic (i was able to blow it up on my phone) and they thought it was scale. I used Provado Ultimate bug killer and the little blighters seem to be loosening their grip on the stems and dying already. I hope this post will help others. Thank you to everyone that replied.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here