Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my red assassin bugs have disappeared??

Posted by bmh4796 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 8:14

I had an abundance of these little peaceful creatures in my garden for 6 years. They were there throughout the winter. About 2 weeks ago I noticed there absence. I did not use any pesticides.

Has anyone else noticed that their assassins are gone??

Theories as to what may have happened to them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my red assassin bugs have disappeared??

That image is that of a nymph. They have probably metamorphosed to the adult stage, which have wings and are perfectly mobile. Hasta luego!

o

yes, but i usually have all stages in my garden, the little ones all the way to the big guys. they are totally gone now

o

sorry that i posted this twice. i meant to post it in the southern garden thread and the pest thread, but accidentally posted it here twice.

o

We have no way to orchestrate the activities of our many beneficials. Perhaps the adults have chosen to lay eggs elsewhere, or maybe a predator or parasite has been after them. It simply might be a bad year for assassinbugs. The cycles of the natural world change according to factors that we cannot control.

Just do the good job you've been doing at creating a healthy environment and I'm sure that you'll see an abundance of insects....good and not so good.

o

Where in the United States are you? Up here in Michigan I would not expect to see Assasin Bugs out and about yet while people in southern California may well have them active. Depending on where you are your Assasin Bugs may be hibernating or possibly have moved on to where food and shelter are.

o

i'm in South Louisiana. previously, they've been present year round here.

i've learned a little more about them. they are called milkweed assassin bugs because they resemble the milkweed bug.

here is a picture of an adult milkweed assassin bug

o

Great example of animal mimicry.
Great shot of the nymph above.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here