Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White Mold on Sunflowers

Posted by IslandNomad 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 8:32

Hi all,

I've been following the posts on here for a while as a beginner gardener and have a decent indoor garden prospering. Unfortunately I now have a question that I can't find the answer to in the forum.

I have four mammoth sunflowers growing in a large pot. I purchased the wrong seeds (who grows mammoth indoors?), but since I have a loft I figure i'd give them a shot. I planted on Jan 27, have a grow light suspended above them and they are now seven feet tall and starting to flower. I think they're doing great, but then again, I know nothing :)

We were gone for a week and returned to white mold on two of the plants. The mold is on the stems and the leaves. There was zero sign of this prior to our leaving.

From what I've seen on the web the only real option is to remove the whole lot, but I'm hoping to save at least two of them. Any advice you could share would be greatly appreciated as these are my fiancee's favorite flower and she has become quite attached :)

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White Mold on Sunflowers

What I see looks more like powdery mildew (very common on sunflowers) than white mold.

o

Thanks for the quick reply.

What do I do about it?

o

Another photo

o

does it come off like powder when you rub it? if so, it's powdery mildew. spray with a fungicide to combat it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here