Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rachael_2013

There's white stuff on my Jerusalem Artichoke Leaves!

Rachael_2013
9 years ago

What is it? Should I be worried? How do I get rid of it?

Comments (12)

• calliope
    9 years ago

Is it 'white stuff' or a loss of the green pigment? I can see veins and stomata very clearly, and it looks more like chloroplast death than white stuff growing or being deposited.

• Rachael_2013
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well if it is chloroplast death what causes it and how can I prevent it from happening to my other leaves?

• jean001a
    9 years ago

potential causes include exposure to excess light and/or excess cold and/or excess heat.

We need a few clues to help you.

What happened just prior to when you saw the white stuff? Were you trying to harden it off?
    Where is it growing? indoors; greenhouse, or outdoors?

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Is that white on or in the leaf?
    If on the leaf is it dusty and will it wipe off easily?

• Rachael_2013
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's been growing outside since I planted it. Recently the temperature where I am has been in the 70s and the mid 50s at night. That doesn't seem like excessive heat and cold to me but could that possibly be the cause?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

look like sunburn...

where did it come from...??

did it come from inside a greenhouse.. and you planted it out in blistering sun ???

that said.. its that growth point the matters.. it should flush out.. acclimated to its position ... and if it does.. then just snip these old leaves off ...

the plant is significantly stressed.. i would not now.. spray stuff on the remaining leaves.. for fear of stressing it even more ...

ken

• Rachael_2013
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken, I did not get them from a greenhouse. A friend of mine had a bunch of small Jerusalem Artichoke tubers from her garden and she gave me some and I planted those tubers in my backyard.

• jean001a
    9 years ago

It looks more like an environmental disorder than any kind of disease or insect. Wait and watch.
    If it changes, please show us more images.

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

I will repeat the questions I asked earlier that did not get answered.
    Is that white on or in the leaf?
    If on the leaf is it dusty and will it wipe off easily?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

did she have them in shade .. and you put them in sun???

regardless.. unless hers are showing the same problem... then the only diagnosis.. IMHO .. is transplant shock ...

the odds are so astronomical that you move them.. and some disease gratuitously finds these new plants in your garden ... that it has to be cultural.. most likely the transplant ...

again.. life is all in those buds.. so give them time to settle in and start growing... and see if that confirms my suspicion of shock ...

in no way would i ever recommend any kind of cure.. at this time... as there is nothing to cure ... except proper watering to get the roots pumping.. and see if it moves on with its life...

or i am wrong ...

ken

• Rachael_2013
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kimmsr, I think its in the leaf at first I thought it was on the leaf but it wouldn't wipe off.

• Rachael_2013
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kimmsr, I think its in the leaf at first I thought it was on the leaf but it wouldn't wipe off.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner