Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White Webbing killing plants

Posted by waterkeeper Georgia (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 07 at 10:34

I have a small terrarium with some terrarium plants.
it has a waterfall, standard aquarium gravel substrate and humidifier, it is betweeen 75 and 80 deg all day and 80-85% humidity. it is fertilized with Seachem Flourish.
it contains:
*pink arrowhead (Syngonium hybrid)
*White Sandy (Dracaena sanderiana)
*terrarium palm (unknown) here is a link to a pic http://sunpet.com/images/petcyclopedia/sp-bap17.jpg
*Dragons Tongue (Hemigraphis repanda)
*Red Krinkle (Hemigraphis exotica)
*some others unknown.

I have developed a white webbing similar to a spiderweb that has encased alot of the plants and killed them. they seem to melt into a black mush. the web has made it's way around the glass and looks to be somewhere between a veiny white web, and mold. thing is it does not affect the palms, or the white sandy. the rest have been taken out of comission by this beast. any ideas. i can possibly link some pics later if that will help.

TIA -chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White Webbing killing plants

I want pics, I want pics!

o

What you are seeing is probably mycelia. It is a mass of branched filaments of certain types of fungi.

A picture would be good too.

o

It does look similar to some of what i found in a google search for mycelia images. I will make some pictures of my unkonown killer available tonight.

thanks again -chris

o

I put some pictures up on my photobucket account.

some are full tank shots, the remaining infected plants, and 2 of the culprit as it looks on the glass.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/chrisbattista/

thanks again.
-chris

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of Webbing

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Thu, May 3, 07 at 14:23

Interesting fungus you have.

I don't know its name but suggest that your terrarium is far too wet. Likely that's what started the process.

o

at first i thought it was it was the white thing ...

otherwise.. the goo reminds me of slime mold .... but i am no expert .. try google for images .... ken

o

Not slime mold...just plant cell that have turned to goo by the fungus, as well as the fungal body. The conditions are waaaay too wet.

o

hey .. it might be easier to grow bog plants in there ..... with all the water .... seriously ...

i would take it all apart.. and sterilize everything [non plant material i mean] with 10% bleach .. and probably start with new plants .. or isolate these in better conditions until they recover and are free of the malaise ....

and consider that a terrarium is used to increase HUMIDITY ..... not to keep the soil like a bog .... as noted by rhizo ....and from the standing water around the stones... its way too wet ...

good luck

ken

o

I did my best to select plants that will fare well with the high water line, and fit the size requirement of this small tank. white sandy and the palms are the only ones that seem to be accepting it well. maybe i will have to reconsider the design and reconstruct.

-chris

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here