Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Info on Gnatrol

Posted by lucy7167 NY (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 11, 11 at 11:02

I have over 60 houseplants that are badly infested and have heard that this product works but I have also used products that say it is safe for house plants and it killed over 20 of my plants. If anyone knows anything about this prodcut please give me some advice on whether I should buy it for my houseplants or not. Has anyone had experience in using this product with houseplants. Please help I am loaded with these nasty insects and I need something to destroy them. I have yellow sticky stuff all on top of my plants to catch the adults but when I life them up there are millions of these larvae in my soil and I don't over water because I have watering bulbs that water my plants automatically.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Info on Gnatrol

If you intend to use the Gnatrol, you'll need to get rid of the bulbs and water the old fashioned way. At least for a while. Gnatrol has to be used as a soil drench.

Gnatrol has been around for many years as a control for fungus gnat larvae in container crops. When used according to label instructions it should be very effective for you. It is highly unlikely that you can harm your plants even if you don't pay attention to the label.

Does your watering bulb system allow for a drying out period for the soil? If not, that is certainly the root of your problem. In truth, you could still be over watering your plants, bulbs or not, if the soil doesn't get a change to dry out.

Fungus gnats must have a pretty moist environment in order to thrive. Allowing the medium to dry out somewhat between waterings AND changing the medium to one that is very coarse and fast draining will prevent a re-infestation from occurring.

I use a potting mix that is mostly bark. It drains rapidly and does not provide a suitable breeding ground for those pesky fungus gnats.

Anyway, I strongly recommend the use of Gnatrol. With it, and the other suggestions I've made, you should be gnat free!

o

But only after you disrupt the life cycle. That will require about 3 weeks.

o

Yes, three or more weeks of regular watering with the Gnatrol solution.

o

This is "Bacillus thuringgiensis - Isrealanis" a limited action pesticed that must be ingested (eaten) by the target insects and is effective for only a short time in the insects life span, ie. the first weeks of the larvas life.
The single best means of controling these wee buggers is to allow the soil of the plants to dry out between waterings, although people in the business of selling you stuff you usually do not need will tell you otherwise.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fungus Gnat Control

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here