Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flying_monkeys

Is this a moth?

Leah
9 years ago

Long-time reader (2007), first time posting a message.

I've discovered our blue spruce does **not** in fact have small pine cones but instead bagworms. I had noticed the dangling little sacks last fall and didn't think a thing about 'em since that tree has doubled in the 7 years we've lived here.

On Tuesday I saw dozens of those "pine cones" and a little warning bell went off. Looked online and sure enough, bagworms! I immediately handpicked all but three (at the very top of 9' tree), smashed them, soaked them in soapy water, then after soaking them for 24 hours tossed them into empty field. So I feel a little better that maybe I decreased the population.

Next I inspected the blue spruce's neighbor, on the opposite side of path, what we call our "fat evergreen," which I have not identified other than knowing it is not a blue spruce. I found a dozen or so bagworms on it as well, which received the same procedure as the others.

But - and here's the actual question of my rambling post - I also found the below. I only found one of these during my first inspection yesterday.

Does anyone know what it is?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (3)