Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msarro

squirrels! gah!

msarro
12 years ago

I have two raised beds, each 12x4. I have just replanted them a third time, and for the third time, nothing is growing. Today, I saw why - squirrels are digging up the seeds. I had transplanted in some things (beets broccoli, etc), and they were all eaten within a day.

I need an affordable way to cut down on squirrels at least long enough for my seeds to take root. I've heard about cayenne/garlic working, but then I've read that its actually really cruel, and will eat away at the nasal passages and throats/lungs of the squirrels.

I've tried planting marigolds, but the *#^@^@& squirrels eat the seeds before they grow. I'm going to get some full grown ones later tonight and plant them around the perimeter of each bed (7 per bed, one every 4 feet). I know marigolds work for bunnies, but what about squirrels?

I've seen suggestions for red fox urine - has anyone tried it? Will it work?

I would like to plant a fence, but it will be a pain to build, and expensive so I need a few weeks to get the cash for that much chicken wire and wood to make something that not only goes around both beds, but also covers them.

I'd like to avoid killing them, but if they keep eating what we're relying on food wise, my temper will get a bit thin. Squirrel stew is tasty.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living