Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cardarlin

Deer and Rabbit Repellants?

cardarlin
13 years ago

Does human urine really work to repell deer and rabbits?

What is the best way to repell deer and rabbits from your garden?

Comments (11)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    13 years ago

Nothing works like a physical barrier, failing that, a good dog or dogs, failing that, dried blood will work...for a while...maybe...same as the urine. Have you searched for this question in the forums and what have you tried?

tj

• cardarlin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well we have a 2.5 acre wooded lot. I see about 10-15 deer a day. But I'm assuming there are more since it seems they strike early in the morning before I let my dog out. I just started with the human urine today. I was wondering how long it would take before I need to reapply?

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Big cat manure.
    Found at a few large independent nurseries. A zoo (if you have one around) might also be a good source. Collecting it yourself is not a good idea ;)
    The smell of a big meat eating cats urine and feces will keep any herbivore and many omnivores away.
    Use it around the garden (not any closer than 10 feet or directly uphill from edibles) and reapply after heavy rains.

I don't repel them myself. I shoot them. Rabbit and deer are good eats, part of the food chain and plentiful. I'll leave them alone until they get in my garden.

• forensicmom
    13 years ago

I don't have a problem with deeer (thankfully) but rabbits are a big problem. I've been using Liquid Fence Deer and Rabbit repellent has worked like a charm. I have been told that it's a good idea to switch up products after awhile because they animals get used to the scent.

I did try human urine for the voles, along with a ton of other things and nothing every worked.

• Kimmsr
    13 years ago

An article in Fine Gardening ,agazine a while bac reported on the effectiveness of various deer "repellants" and the summery was sometimes they work and sometimes they do not. The most effective means of keeping deer, rabbits, etc. from eating your plants was physical barriers.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

Someone should start a new forum entitled 'Deer and Rabbits'.

Dan

• cardarlin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well we have a 2.5 acre wooded lot. I see about 10-15 deer a day. But I'm assuming there are more since it seems they strike early in the morning before I let my dog out. I just started with the human urine today. I was wondering how long it would take before I need to reapply?

• greyandamy
    13 years ago

I agree, a new forum of Deer and Rabbits would be great. The DEER found my garden this year, after 5 years of perceived safety. They found it, and they won't leave it. I'm sure rabbits too helped. I'm been obsessively reading, frustrated, at all the methods to maybe repel...

I have 2 dogs, but the deer come at night when we're all sleeping... I am very odor sensitive, so leery of the sprays that stink, though I KNOOW they dissipate quickly. Also, with SO SO MUCH rain, I'm so afraid they'd need applied again and again.

In GARDENERS SUPPLY COMPANY magazine, I found 3 interesting things.. though I don't know if they'd work. Has anyone tried any?????

One is 25 clips of concentrated garlic that reportedly repels deer and rabbits for up to 6 months. These "clips" let the odor out while protecting from the weather, you're to clip to whatever every 1-2 feet (yes, that could be a lot of area, depending on what's being eaten)...But that interested me...Anyone try???

Also, one is called Deer Fortress, it's odorless to humans (important to me) in amper-proof containers that work for 3-4 months. Portecting a 4-8 foot area. Use stakes or handg from loop (contains dried blood). It's expensive (to me).. but I'm wondering if anyone has tried?

THen one is simply a "pungent citrus soap" hung in a bag from trees and shrubs that lasts for 12 months. Somehow I doubt that would work. Or if they did, why not use a soap I could buy cheaper that deer don't like.

They ate things they are supposed to hate (and no, they weren't starved, they have other houses all around with nice things)... they devoured the blueberry plants. Finally I moved what was left of the plants, and after 4 days they haven't returned to that area (I don't trust them!)... they loved the oakleaf hydrangea... EVEN THORNY THINGS, like FIRETHORN, they had to taste...

It's not their fault, people keep building and building and cutting down trees/woods for unneeded MORE commercial things- more stores, more walmarts, more McDonalds.. Still..

I bought online granules that were guaranteed to be safe, nontoxic, good around kids and pets, etc. When it arrived, the bottle said everything differently... wear gloves, all these emergency precautions, etc. etc. In other words, I was afraid to use...

It seems, from browsing, there's no guranteed repellent, unless you can get all that fencing...I could be wrong..

Amy

• taz6122
    13 years ago

people keep building and building and cutting down trees/woods for unneeded MORE commercial things- more stores, more walmarts, more McDonalds.

Seriously??

That's not what I'm hearing. Construction is down. There's no money to build. There's too many open buildings not generating any money because of companies going out of business.

The real reason there's too many deer is because fish and game isn't giving out as many tags with a license and I won't get into the reason for that because it makes my blood boil.
    Deer are getting smaller and smaller because of inbreeding. They're dieing from diseases contributed to overpopulation. I could go on and on but I feel an aneurysm coming on.

• dlking58
    10 years ago

Well, for those of you with huge yards, this probably won't help, but for my regular sized subdivision yard, this works great.

I'd heard that putting scrapings of Irish Spring soap around your plants would deter the deer, but I got tired of all that pretty quick. Then I came up with an idea - I cut up a bar of Irish Spring in a bucket of water and kept squishing it with my fingers until it was just "slime". I put a small amount of the slime in a spray bottle full of water and mist the plants with it. I have thriving hostas for the first time in 8 years !!! I pick up my spray bottle every time I go to the mailbox or just walk around the yard.

One bar will make enough to last for a really long time. You can control the concentration level of the slime by just adding water, and if there are little slime chunks in your spray bottle just shake it and they dissipate. I haven't tried putting this in a pressurized sprayer yet.

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

Some time back in an issue of Fine Gardening magazine was an article about these deer and rabbit "repellants" and the author of that article found, as many of us have, that no one method consistently works. Over time these critters get used to most anything and will ignore that which is familiar.
    The single most effective method of critter control is a good, tight fence. Far down the list would be many different forms of repellants.