Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holes in Pepper Plants

Posted by Valdo 9b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 13:58

Here are two pictures of holes I have in my pepper plants. I tried beer trap, spotted a slug, but slugs are not taking to the beer. Checked all over the plant, did a newspaper trap for earwigs. Sprayed with Neem and soapy-garlicy water. Nothing. I check the plants during the day AND at night with a flashlight and nothing.

Anyone? I think it may be slugs because I spotted one on the plant and when I did the beer trap two slugs did go for the dish. But no evidence and it does not stop!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holes in Pepper Plants

Here is another shot of the pepper plant holes...

o

Nobody has an idea?? I sent this guy over here from the hot pepper forum knowing you guys/gals usually have better info than I can provide.

:)

Kevin

o

He's done all of the things that we could have suggested.....just about. Valdo, have you carefully inspected under the leaves? Caterpillars are extremely small when they first hatch.

o

Check under those pots for slugs also Valdo.

Thanks Rhizo. He mentioned he did a foliar spray of epsom salts. Spots started white, then brown, then the holes. Do you think an overzealous dose of epsoms could do it?

Kevin

o

Valdo, if you cannot find a pest in the immediate environment, then look farther afield. The damage seems to be that caused by a leaf eating beetle which may have moved in, eaten and moved on.
Remember the bar-room character? Eats, shoots - and leaves.
A Panda, apparently.

o

Checked throughout the area and no sign of anything. Then again we had a major storm run through here, high winds but the plants seemed ruffled but fine.

o

Those are old holes. Occurred long ago, when the leaf was very young and still expanding. Then, as the leaf grew, the holes also grew.

Bottom line #1: Nothing ate it.
Bottom line #2: something may have poked it.
Bottom line #3: No need for panic and/or treatment.

This post was edited by jean001a on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 1:22

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here