Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bay suckers

Posted by briergardener 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 9, 10 at 14:10

I have a problem with my bay tree, it has curled leaves and some insects inside (not now, in summer). By googling i found that they are bay suckers and recomendation was to spray with thiacloprid.
How bad is thiacloprid? What can be used instead (i did not see it in store)? Any organic things to fight bay suckers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bay suckers

It's a bad one. It's a carcinogen, for one thing. It's not likely you'll ever find a product with this active ingredient in the typical garden center but it is readily available as an agricultural pesticide. It belongs to the same group of pesticides as does Imidicloprid; they are both classified as neonicotinoids.

How bad was the infestation last year? I'm curious as to where you received the recommendation for Thiacloprid.

Psyllids, in general, can be controlled by Neem applications. Neem acts as an anti-feedant and therefore a repellant. Insects that do feed on a neem treated plant may experience its effects as a growth regulator, too. Neem disrupts the life cycle of insects that ingest it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Is this what you've observed?

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 10, 10 at 1:32

Hmm. Completely different responses than in the other thread of same name at
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/organic/msg04135641744.html?3

I suspect confusion among terms -- bay tree; bay suckers; and suckers (as in sucking pests)

Here is a link that might be useful: other thread

o

I don't see anything that different in the responses on the Organic Gardening Forum. Thiacloprid is a potential carcinogen and is known to be quite persistant in the environment and for those reasons should not be considered by anyone concerned about the environment and human health.

o

Rhizo,
I read about thiacloprid here
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_september_3_bay_laurel4.asp
Here what i had on my bay tree last summer and summer before:
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=505
I tried last summer soap and water but it did not help.

o

The term confusion is real, the differences in answers is not. Neem or insecticidal soap is the best choice.

Dan

o

The term 'bay sucker' is a British one, I believe. They are a psyllid.

Considering briergardener's zone, I strongly sense that the plant is Persea borbonia or other species. Persea is commonly attacked by this psyllid, causing those galls indicated by our poster.

My recommendation for neem stands.

o

Thanks everybody for recommendation.

Could you tell me when, how and how often should i apply neem oil?

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 11, 10 at 12:25

The label has all the information you need.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here