Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lzsed_gw

Sea monster in my indoor sunflower seedling!!!

lzsed
9 years ago

I have no idea what this is or how to take care of it. Any takers?? I am new at gardening, but surely this cannot be the roots.

Pictures (in dirt):

Comments (10)

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Small mushrooms?
    If so, remove & discard.

• lzsed
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ohh god if they are mushrooms that would be such a relief!!! Are not they the strangest things you have ever seen? They remind me of some type of miniature coral reef. I have a great macro camera if anyone wants a better shot of them. I really want to know how to fix whatever this is!!!

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Then please use the macro and post more images which will help us see details.

Oh yes -- what are the things doing? Moving? Just sitting there? or what?

• eibren
    9 years ago

Could possibly also be pupae or egg capsules of some kind, maybe even of some sort of spider, but difficult to know if friend or foe until it grows or hatches. Insect and mushroom people might be more helpful.

You could place a bit of the soil into the bottom of a glass jar and place them in there to see what they develop into if you are curious. Put a couple of tiny air holes in the cap, and add a tiny bit of moisture occasionally. If you should get tiny spiders, let them escape into your garden once it is warm enough outside.

I don't touch things like that with bare hands until I know what they are....

;o)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

did you use a potting media ... of which it does not look like one???

or some homemade compost mix ...

if so ... that is why you have mushrooms in it.. they one of natures decomposers ... and they are finishing the job ...

you said: Are not they the strangest things you have ever seen?

==>>> no.. trust me.. there are a lot more weird and disgusting things.. lol ...

you are way past time on getting that plant outside ... its time .. if your area is warm enough.. and you will have to harden it off to direct sun for a few days.. after transplant ...

there is also some salt buildup .. that brown crust on the top edge of your media ...

good luck

ken

• jean001a
    9 years ago

No self-respecting spider would place her egg cases there.

• lzsed
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi everyone. Thanks for the help. Still have no clue what this is.

Ah yes, important to mention that these things, whatever they are, are completely stagnant and unmoving. Otherwise I wouldn't take my sweet time to take pictures, they'd be in a few layers of plastic bags, stomped on, and promptly eradicated (sunflower included)! :P

Here are the macros:

These photos are in no particular order. See how they are somewhat porous?? Never have seen anything like it.

As for the sunflower--I planted it in the last few days of February when we had around 3 feet of snow and I was begging for some early springtime. We've had record-breaking weather this year. I don't think it's a good time to put it outside yet--I'll do that in a week or so, or whenever I know the soil is above 60 degrees. That's why it's in such a large plastic jug that I can just cut away when it's time to plant it.

• lzsed
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The largest one right next to the sunflower actually appeared later, after taking the photos a few days ago.

I also have about 20 other plants in front of this window next to this one, and none of them have this problem.

• lzsed
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, I also used an organic vegetable garden soil for this that I bought at the store. Not sure if that makes a difference, who knows though! All of my plants are planted in this same soil, from the exact same bag of soil, and as I said before none of the other plants have this issue.

• calliope
    9 years ago

Just looks like the fruiting body of some sort of fungii. I get occasional mushrooms in the soiless mix on the potting benches if left undisturbed for any length of time. Not an issue, occurs in the natural breakdown of organic soils. If it bothers you to look at them, just remove them. Tends to happen if the soil remains moist for long periods of time and btw the crusty area around the edges of your soil in the pot looks typical of undisturbed soil kept on the moist side. I see it sometimes on bedding plant flats grown in winter and it can be fluffed up with a gentle swipe of the finger to keep the soil friable. Watch your watering or you'll be getting fungus gnats next.

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax