Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tip roll, pale spots on tomato seedling leaves

Posted by joannaqcw NY 4/5 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 19, 12 at 14:24

My tomatoes are 5 weeks old, generally fast-growing and healthy-looking. Ever since I started putting them outside on warm days (over 50; in a sunny spot, slightly sheltered but still gets wind), a few leaves have rolled at the tips. I figured it was just stress. Today I found this spotted leaf (oldest true leaf on its plant) with a rolled tip and began to wonder if I was actually dealing with a disease (powdery mildew? I know the kale in the greenhouse had that months ago, but I thought it was species-specific....gray spot? bacterial spot?) A couple of other plants had older leaves with whitish tips. I've attached the spot pic; I think maybe you can see bigger pix of the spot and the white tip here:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3683851785659&set=a.1273742454432.2040846.1556056786&type=1&theater

and

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3683859065841&set=a.1273742454432.2040846.1556056786&type=1&theater

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Image link: tip roll, pale spots on tomato seedling leaves (54 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tip roll, pale spots on tomato seedling leaves

Google images of tomato blight and see if you think that's a match.

o

did you harden them off to direct sunlight.. or just take them straight outdoors .. even greenhouse glass tempers direct sun ...

in my z5.. tomatoes go in the ground mid may ... and you are z45 .. i wonder if blight is even possible in these temps??? my nights are still falling below 35 degrees ...

i suspect cold damage or hardening off issues .. and yes.. i am presuming you are taking them back in at night ...

ken

o

Thank you both. Purple, I've had tomato blight before, both late blight and early blight (though never on seedlings), and I don't think this is it--the spot color is different and it isn't spreading in the same way
Ken, I had them in the greenhouse in the sun for their first 3 weeks, then put them outside for an hour or so and brought them back into the greenhouse, then left them out for longer periods of time. They still come in at night as we're still getting freezes--I think the lowest temp they've been exposed to is 45 (though with strong wind it might affect them as if it were colder).
I was hoping this was just environmental stress, wanted to check if it looked like a disease anyone knew. Thanks for your time and thought.
Joanna

o

It's not a disease. It's environmental stress.

o

Good. I can deal with that. Thank you all!
I seem to suffer from vicarious hypochondria--I don't obsess over my own sniffles, aches and lumps, but tomato spots tend to precipitate a panic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here