Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cardoon collapse

Posted by schmidtkoff (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 20, 12 at 14:30

my cardoon was growing so perfectly all winter. the leaves were huge and in early march it slowly began to fail and finally collapse. does anyone have and ideas. it did begin to have sooty mold and i did find lots of pill bugs around it.

i cleaned up all mulch around it and took out all dying and wilted leaves plus cut back all wilted leaves. perhaps should't have done that. the one photo shows the collapse, the red line around the cut back cardoon shows the stalk that had previously been hidden by huge leaves, about 2" around and 5" tall. anyone have any ideas as to what happened?

i would add that the poor thing does seem to be firmly rooted - thought of digging up and potting it. either way i don't have much hope for this one. i'm really bummed out. ordered 2 new ones from forest farm.

Image link: cardoon collapse (55 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cardoon collapse

here is a link to the other photo. http://schmidtkoff.imgur.com/all/

o
RE: cardoon collapse

uh, oh; 2nd image not available.

What is t=your USDA climate zone?

Since it lasted as long as it did, may be after effects of cold damage. Too bad, as they are stunning.

That said, sooty mold suggests it aphids, scale or mealybugs.

The pillbugs were just cleaning up the mess.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here