Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newspapercrumbs

What insect is this? They're everywhere!

NewspaperCrumbs
9 years ago

Hi,

So recently our kitchen has had a massive influx of these insects, and I can't seem to identify them.

They don't look like fungus gnats, fruit flies or whatever else I've seen online, and before I do anything drastic I want to make sure I'm attacking the problem at its source.

Currently they're pretty much just sitting around on a big glass door, near the top and some near the bottom, but they're starting to pop around the kitchen, and even worse on the floor, and when killed leave a red/purple stain behind (I have white tiled floors....)

Are they potentially coming from my plants in the corner, or are they sneaking in from outside?

For reference these things are tiny, maybe 3 mm long at most.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

• hortster
    9 years ago

Pretty fuzzy picture, but maybe some type of midge?

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

I think they're some form of gnat. We have them EVERYWHERE here and some manage to find their way inside when we open the doors.

Planto

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

We really need a better picture. It's difficult to see any distinguishing characteristics.

• NewspaperCrumbs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Does this help?

9 years ago

Yep! Those are flying aphids! I see a lot of them in the spring, when aphids are gearing up for their busy season.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

I didn't know there was such a thing as a flying aphid. I'll have to keep a close eye on my plants.

Planto

9 years ago

At some point in the life cycle of aphids, some are born with wings. It enables them to relocate from where they hatched, to flee an overly crowded host plant, or to find mates.

• NewspaperCrumbs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! I assume these are coming from my plants then inside? I'll move them outside or find something to get rid of them - all the help appreciated guys!

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional