Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dead Hyacinth?

Posted by GardenWannabe007 Netherlands (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 15:33

Hi, I have planted a number of Hyacinths. All are well except two, that look like in the picture. Leaves are green but flower pads are black and have stopped growing. What is this? Can I fight it?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dead Hyacinth?

Hyacinth leaves and stems touched by late spring frosts may show small brown spots that later merge into blotches. Then, sometimes the leaves split and look ragged. Prevent this by spreading a 2 inch layer of mulch over hyacinth bulbs right after the ground freezes.

o

The bloom stalk this short is often caused by a combination of cold with sun. I used to force Dutch bulbs in my flower business, and we controlled how tall they were by manipulating temperatures/ light. The flower pads? The petals I assume you mean? They don't look black to me on my monitor, but dark purple, and healthy. They should open soon but may be quite short this year.

o

first off.. that is purple.. and will be a purple flower ...

and ALL my hyacinth look like that as they emerge.. the purple ones, of course ....

as the soil warms.. they will extend..

your only problem.. IMHO ... is your spring fever...

the only other thought.. is that somehow a couple got planted deeper than others ....

nothing to FIGHT.. just relax.. it is good to have a few that are a little slower.. to extend the show ...

let us know if i end up wrong... i enjoy the taste of crow.. lol ..

ken

o

Thank you all for the advice, indeed I feel silly posting this now (notice the wannabe part of my username... :) ). Indeed they are violet ones now that you mention it, and winter was long and cold so maybe some where slower to bloom. Will wait it out.

o

No need to feel silly. We were all beginners at one time.

Enjoy learning in your garden!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here