Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sick Eonymus?

Posted by GardenWannabe007 Netherlands (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 15:42

Greetings, I've planted this Eonymus Japonicus Marieke last year in October. It looked ok until two months ago when the leaves have started displaying this brown edge. No foliage loss, no pests as far as I can tell. There is new growth, but also displays the same brown edges here and there.

I fed it in the last 2 weeks and mixed the soil with compost. Anything else you would recommend?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sick Eonymus?

I'm thinking this might be cause by fungi. Although these shrubs are adaptable plants and simple to care for, they are susceptible to a range of fungal and bacterial diseases that affect their appearance and growth. This could have been caused by Anthracnos, a type of fungus that affects the euonymus shrub. This disease can result in severe defoliation of your shrub if left untreated. Trim and clean up diseased leaves and branches and for severe cases, spray a copper fungicide.

o

my conifer friends in the netherlands.. say spring is late this year.. and winter was cold ...

frankly.. that is what i call winter damage.. and there is nothing to do about it ... and could simply be the result of transplant.. and its first winter ...

i wonder how early you are.. giving it fert and compost.. and wonder if you are not loving it too much with what could amount to a double application of fertilizer too early in spring ...

i have harmed more things with too much love.. as compared to benign neglect ... and never forget.. they are not children.. and dont need to be 'fed' repeatedly ... what you already provided.. is most likely.. good enough thru next late spring ... if not forever, presuming you have a decent soil ....

and if i read this correctly .. new growth has browning edges.. i call that frost/freeze damage ...

as a default.. there arent many bug or disease issues.. in very early spring ... its usually weather related.. either winter damage showing once it warms up.. or warming up early.. followed by cold snaps ... and in regard to the latter ... force feeding it early.. and causing excessive soft growth.. only complicates it...

i wouldnt worry about it ... you cant kill these things if you wanted.. lol

good luck

ken

o

Thanks, I'll upload pictures as it gets in better shape.

o

That would be great!! Hope it gets better soon..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here