Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Frog/toad eating amaryllis plant!

Posted by lovesgardening N. Israel (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 19, 12 at 15:51

hi all- a friend of mine has had 3 consecutive buds eaten off her plant by a robust toad/frog! any animal friendly advice aside from relocation? It, or its relatives keep returning waiting for the bud to be just right then chomp chomp. a medium sized dark green with with darker spots.I found a very complicated method involving drilling the pot and building a door - please - some easy friendly solutions if they are out there. (she is a firm believer in being kind to all animals)more info: the plant is in a narrow bed near the outside wall of the house in a sunny location, no nearby water features, no nearby debris or hiding places.the frog appears from under the house where she supposes it lives. she has never seen this species around here before and will try to take a photo in the near future if she can.
TIA,
Dory

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Frog/toad eating amaryllis plant!

Somewhere in the world there might be a vegetation eating frog or toad but I can find nothing about one. What may well be happening is that frog/toad is grabbing an insect on those buds and knocking them off. If your friend wishes to get rid of that frog/toad she needs to trap it and find an environment it can live in to release it. someplace else.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here