Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
burford holly

Posted by alene.gardener No. VA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 3, 10 at 15:55

We have 7 - 8 ft. 15 year old Burford hollies in our backyard serving as a hedge. We just noticed that the bottom leaves are covered in black and the back of them has small black spots. I can scrape the black off with my fingernail. Do you know what this is and how we might get rid of this? We have had a very wet and snowy winter here. Might this contribute? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: burford holly

The black stuff could be black sooty mold, but would like to see an image to confirm. Burford holly can be a host to different kinds of scale insects, which contribute the excretion (called honey dew) that the black mold grows on.

I've also seen very heavy growths of BSM on plants that were growing underneath the canopy of a larger plant infested with scale or aphids.

Anyway, I'd like to see a picture of these black spots as well as the black stuff on the leaves. Look along the stems as well as the leaves for little bumps...those would be the scale insects.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here