Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toad_ca

insect eggs suspended in goo

toad_ca
13 years ago

Twice in the last month or so, I've come across a pillow of goo (about 6 inches square) with what looks like quite a number of eggs held in suspension. The first time it was hanging from a rhodie and the second--today--it was on the ground in front of the rhodie. A friend said the description sounded like tent caterpillars, but I haven't been able to find a photo of them in this form to confirm. Any thoughts?

And I wish I had grabbed my camera, but, frankly, I was so grossed out that my only thought was to get rid of them as quickly as possible.

Comments (23)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

Nothing is coming to my mind right now, but I can tell you with certainty that it is NOT tent caterpillars. I really can't think of any insect with reproductive characteristics like this. The eggs of snails and slugs, maybe?

6 inches is quite large! When you say 'goo', you mean that literally, right?

• toad_ca
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh yes. Relatively clear, jiggling goo that holds together pretty well. Appears to be stronger than jello.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    13 years ago

Some sort of slime mold, perhaps?

tj

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

Normally I'd say spittlebug maybe. Not enough information. Pictures convey much information.

Dan

• jean001a
    13 years ago

Snails & slugs lay their eggs in soil or on top of it.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

As wet and cold as it's been, I haven't seen a single spit bug yet - and those are little globs, with maybe 1-3 nymphes contained.

It sounds large for tree frog eggs, I wonder if some kind of other toad or frog? A guess only, I haven't ever found but tree frogs in my own garden.

• toad_ca
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yea morz8! I Googled tree frog eggs and some of what I saw looks about right. But now I feel terrible about tossing the whole thing into the forest and covering it with a pail of pulled weeds.

13 years ago

I'm not all that knowledgeable about amphibians, but don't they all begin their lives in bodies of water? I know that some frogs (which lay the globby egg masses) can deposit their eggs on plants, but those plant usually hang over a pond, swamp, etc. Right? Or have I already forgotten everything I thought I knew.

tj, your idea is worth thinking about, too!

Sorry, toad, but without a picture all we can do is continue to make guesses.

• toad_ca
    Original Author
    13 years ago

rhizo 1, I understand. I'll keep looking for more of them--this time with my camera.
    However, we do have a sizable pond on the property. AND both times I found the egg sacs were after wind storms.

13 years ago

I'm not at all knowledgeable about amphibians either, my whole vocabulary concerning tree frogs would be - cute.

Do they all begin life in water and not just near it? Although, I think the whole west side of the state has been one big puddle for about 6 months now....

Toad, get that photo if you can, now that we are all curious. And wouldn't it be ironic if it did turn out to be frogs eggs - I'm not even going to ask how you came up with toad_ca for your user name ;) Understanding that it's cold and raining, is the mass you disposed of not retrievable? Thinking of photo, not necessarily salvage since we don't know what you might be hatching.

13 years ago

Amphibians in N Am lay their eggs in water bodies. Some in the tropics exploit cavities in trees.

Dan

• toad_ca
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yea! I was able to dig it out intact and wash it off a bit. Here's a photo:

13 years ago

I can't think of anything else in the PNW that has that kind of egg mass other than frog of some type.

Anyone?

13 years ago

But its not in the water.

WTH? Obviously I should have lived longer in WA so I could run into this thing.

Dan

• toad_ca
    Original Author
    13 years ago

dan staley--Well, it was suspended from a shrub the first time I saw one. And it was after a pretty fierce windstorm. And the pond (with MANY MANY frogs) isn't far from the house.

13 years ago

toad, almost all amphibian eggs are laid in water , except some frog species in the tropics and a couple salamanders/newts. And frog eggs are clear individual eggs with black centers, stuck together, not encased in goo. I trust your County Extension would be able to ID that.

Dan

• toad_ca
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Point taken.
    And a friend has sent the photo to WSU for an opinion.

13 years ago

I hope you'll let us know what you find out. I tried comparing to salamander eggs and that isn't quite right - I do find pictures of frog egg masses with that clear protective 'goo' but I don't know if frogs native to here.

How brave are you - you could always 'hatch' them. They don't look especially damaged, I wonder where tips could be found on hatching local/native eggs of that general type :) I'd try it for you, but you are 175 miles from me.

I'm trying to think of a biologist handy/convenient I could get to view your picture - Friday night of course and everyone gone for the weekend.

• plantknitter
    13 years ago

I posted to northwest forum regarding WSU agent id'd as Salamander egg mass dragged out of pond by raccoons.

Here is a link that might be useful: Northwest forum

• toad_ca
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you again plantknitter!

13 years ago

We've had two WSU extension votes for salamander now after your photo having been viewed - so that may very well be what they are. :)

13 years ago

We are so often looking for the obvious, that we forget to consider unexpected!

This has nothing to do with salamanders, but reminds me of when my husband and I kept finding, over the course of several weeks, little pink shrimp in our yard. Our totally, completely landlocked, hundreds of miles from the ocean yard. Of course, these were COOKED shrimp! lol

Finally, we observed a crow flying by with something in it's beak....it discarded part of the load but kept flying with the rest. When we walked over to look at what it had jettisoned, we found a little pink shrimp! The crows had found a restaurant nearby and were stealing the leaf overs. They wanted the breading on the shrimp, but not those nasty pink things. We still laugh at that.

• toad_ca
    Original Author
    13 years ago

rhizo 1--Love it!

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County