Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gnatrol? Help!!

Posted by aj300 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 1, 08 at 16:45

I have a container garden on my front porch that is infested with fungus gnats. My "garden" is in half a wine barrel that was bought at lowes and washed out. I used bark, cheap potting soil, peat moss and perlite for my potting mixture. My garden is only a couple months old, and the blubs I planted in there just started popping up about 3 weeks ago. About the same time the gnat problem started. Now my plants are starting to die!!

I've heard a lot about Gnatrol solving the problem, but where can I get it? I've searched at Lowes and Home Depot, etc., and have had no luck.

Any help please! I want to save my garden!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gnatrol? Help!!

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 1, 08 at 20:05

You wrote: "Now my plants are starting to die!! "

If the bulbs, perhaps just done for the season?

If other things, what are they, what size when planted, and what happening (specifically) now?

Beyond that, does the container have drain holes?

o

The plants are brand new, i only planted them in late Feb. The plants are a hosta, an astilbe, and an oxalis triangularis. The oxalis' leaves are drying up, browning and shirveling. And the astilbe's leaves are browning. I purchased them in a package, as blubs (roots), and they have just started to pop out of the soil a few weeks ago. So i don't think they're done for the season.
Yes the container has drain holes, 5 total.

o

• Posted by scmtns 9b Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 10, 08 at 19:33

I googled gnatrol and found these 2 websites where you can order it:
http://www.amazon.com/BetterGrow-Hydro-Gnatrol-32-oz/dp/B0012KT6IY
http://www.planetnatural.com/site/gnatrol.html

Also, fungus gnats were discussed (a long time ago) on gardenweb.

Here is a link that might be useful: gardenweb gnats

o

fungus gnats should not be a problem that has to be treated outdoors ... IMHO.. avoid the chemical use ...

they proliferate in soil that is maintained too wet ...

and perhaps the problem came in the bag of CHEAP potting soil...

the easiest solution .... is to buy some fresh soil ... pot up your plants.. dump out the CHEAP potting soil ... and then replant the potted stock ... washing all the old soil off the plants before replanting in new soil ...

it will probably be cheaper than buying a large container of gnatrol... that will just sit in the garage for 100 years ...

another problem comes to mind.. they may be attracted to a ripe new barrel .. while it is empty.. you might want to scrub it down with a 10% bleach solution to rid it of any of the fermentation byproduct that might be left in the wood ... be safe .. i once had a barrel.. full size.. that smelled of whiskey for a year ... lol ... since our market is near canadian club in windsor Ont .... or in the alternative... smelled like ginger ale.. since vernors is/was local ... IMHO.. there is a strong chance that there is something emanating from the barrel that is attracting them.. and it might be the barrel ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here