Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would love a confirmation of what pest is causing this damage!

Posted by peapod026 CA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 16:55

Hey there!
I recently planted some Zucchini plants, and instantly they were devastated by some sort of pest (there's no hope for them any longer I fear). At first I suspected snails, but after sprinking Sluggo around the plants, they still kept getting damaged. I also kept checking the plants at night, and there were no snails around them! I then treated them by spraying them with a garlic/onion/cayenne infusion (which I read repels a lot of pests) and the culprit was not deterred.
Before I plant more Zuchs, I just want to confirm what pest this is. Based on the damage, it looks to be slugs (even though no evidence of them present is found), but does anyone have any other ideas of what it may be? There are loads of Pincher Bugs and Pill Bugs around, but I've read that those are rarely the culprits.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would love a confirmation of what pest is causing this damage

You need to research a bit more.....both of the critters you've mentioned are capable of doing considerable damage. Google earwig damage to plants and check out the images.

o

oh crikey ... you have thrown down two cures.. and you still dont have an ID .... ??

NEVER APPLY ANYTHING UNTIL AFTER!!!! YOU HAVE AN ID ....

scratch around in the soil and find the cutworms ... and unless you find more than 5.. do NOT treat the plants again ... and go out at night and see if you can find anything ...

lay down a leaf of lettuce.. and spike it with a stick... if you find a slug hiding under it the next morning... you will know if its slugs.. otherwise you polluted your garden with sluggo ...

i see no reason that plant needs to be replaced.. based on this pic ...

ken

o

To trap for earwigs or pill/bugs, fold a couple pieces of newspaper a few times, soak it with water, and leave it in your garden. Check in the morning to see if you find any culprits. The damage certainly looks like that of earwigs.

o

Thanks guys! I've left out some rolled up newspaper as a trap, as well as some beer traps (some users on other forums mentioned this works for slugs as well as earwigs!)
Oh, and Ken--I've heard that sluggo is not too bad to use around the garden, is there a problem putting it down as a preventative measure, before snails attack? I was sure it was snails doing the damage, that's why I put it down. But I guess it is a harsher method than simply putting some newspaper or beer out, haha. I will let you guys know what I find!

o

So, what did you find?

o

Hey! The rolled up newspaper didn't work very well, but put out about 3 beer traps and caught about 30 earwigs in them! I keep refilling them at night, and catching a bit more, but the plants at this stage are completely ruined and any new growth is immediately eaten/destroyed. Is there a better method for deterring/ eradicating the earwigs?

o

I still would bet on slugs/snails.

o

I second Ken-ID first and then treat.

Linda

o

When I read your post and saw your pics. and then heard of what you had tried I thought of earwigs. About two years ago I had an infestation in one bed and they completely sheared my radishes to the ground, then the parsley, and thyme. They also got into my potted petunias on my deck, so they do travel. Continue with the traps and try sprinkling some crushed bay leaves around if you can spare them. They don't like the smell.

o

Look for 'Sluggo Plus '. It contains iron phosphate plus spinosad, an ingredient that will control the earwigs.

o

Sweet thanks guys! I'm nearly certain it's earwigs, it's all I've been catching in the traps! I will try the bay leaves for sure, and try to find sluggo plus! Thanks a ton for your help everyone!

o

More than welcome. Lots of helpful people at GardenWeb.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here