Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Downy Woodpecker Killing Trees

Posted by ocd_gardener Colorado (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 5, 11 at 17:06

We have had a downy woodpecker killing trees in our area. One of our smaller trees is dead and now it is doing damage to an old ponderosa pine. We have tried irritape, a fake owl, and nothing seems to keep the bird away. Has anyone used any successful products to get down woodpeckers to leave?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Downy Woodpecker Killing Trees

A downy? Killing a tree? That little feller? Are you sure that the tree wasn't already on it's way out and bug infested and the downy wasn't just opportunistic? It may even be saving other trees from further insect damage. As for the ponderosa, I have Hairy Woodpeckers and Sapsuckers drilling my Austrian pines and I'm not worried about them, so I surely would not fret over a downy.

tj

o

Woodpeckers don't kill trees.

Dan

o

ocd, though downies can do damage to trees if they are excavating for nesting chambers, it is not all that common....on healthy trees. We more often see this and other woodpeckers on dying or insect riddled trees already in decline.

These woodpeckers can detect borers, for example, that we cannot see and will be very persistent in retrieving them.

If the trees appear to be dying, then I'll suggest that the woodpecker is simply taking advantage of the situation, and not the cause of it.

o

I was just curious if woodpeckers kill trees,I have heard so many stories and I would really like to know...

Thanks;Tammy

o

Woodpeckers only "attack" trees that are already infested with bugs. They eat the bugs. It's the bugs that are killing the trees, not the woodpeckers. The woodpeckers might be rightly viewed as a symptom, not as the cause.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here