Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Giant grub

Posted by IAmSupernova SE Texas 9A (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 17:08

Any ideas what it might be? Found 2 in my compost while screening it. They're both at least twice as big as any grub I've ever seen... The birds that found them must be happy.

photo IMG_20130406_134915_zps54a78194.jpg
 photo IMG_20130406_134933_zps929a2214.jpg
 photo IMG_20130406_134952_zps6840307c.jpg
 photo IMG_20130406_135008_zpsbd2962cb.jpg
 photo IMG_20130406_135014_zpse1d465cf.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Giant grub

Looks like palmetto bug.

o

Not a palmetto bug (roach). Perhaps some type of rhinoceros beetle, definitely a Scarabiadae Family member.

o

Those are the larva of one of the Scarab Beetles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scarab Beetles

o

Yep, one of the big beetles.

Purple, am curious about what you're thinking about. I'm sure that you've become familiar with palmetto bugs (American cockroach) by now so I'm thinking that you're thinking of some other creature.

o

FWIW I once answered "Palmetto Bug" instead of "Palmetto Weevil" and provided a moment of mirth for the rest of class.

o

Hmm... These things are in my compost too, thought they were larval stage of the ubiquitous palmetto, which love the compost pile as adults. It's always full of them. Also saw a couple of them sweeping oak leaves at my Mom's a few days ago. I defer to the expertise of those who know more, thanks for the correction!

o

Cockroaches hatch from their egg cases as miniature versions of the adults, minus the wings. The correct term for this stage of development is a nymph. They may be as small as the head of a pin at that earliest stage. As they grow, they will periodically shed their exoskeleton; they will do this several times until they reach adulthood. They will emerge from that last molt with their wings and all of the necessary 'pieces and parts' for mating.

Many insects undergo this form of metamorphosis; you're familiar with plenty of them. Have you ever seen a freshly hatched grasshopper? Or praying mantis? Sometimes we miss seeing the early instar nymphs of insects because they are so small.

Beetles undergo a different type of metamorphosis, also shared with plenty of different insects. The young of beetles, flies, bees, wasps, etc., are called larvae. Those beetles belonging to the Scarabaedae family evolve from those larvae we term white grubs. Different beetles have their own characteristics as larvae. Think of the ladybug larvae, for example.

Attached is the best image I could find of the Palmetto Bug, Water bug, American Cockroach from oothaeca to adult. Ick!

Here is a link that might be useful: American Cockroach

o

A Cotinis larva. Specializes in composting. Won't damage live plants in your garden.

The adult is the green fruit beetle, aka fig beetle.

o

Cotinis larva. One of the scarab beetle family members.

o

Thanks for the info, Rhizo, Jean, Kim.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here