Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to tell good grubs from bad?

Posted by nygardener z6 New York (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 23, 10 at 17:30

As I've been preparing my beds, I keep digging up little grubs of various thicknesses and colors. I've been killing them, figuring that for all I know they're Japanese beetles or other garden pests, but it seems to me that some might be beneficial for example, ground beetles are supposed to be slug-eaters.

Actually, I've only found about a dozen, so my efforts probably aren't making much difference either way.

So how do I tell which to kill and which to keep?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to tell good grubs from bad?

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 23, 10 at 18:45

If you can post some good views, we can help you ID them.

o

Hmm, good idea. Good excuse to go buy a macro lens!

o

Good grubs? Never heard of such. What do they do for you?

o

Ground beetle larvae would not be described as a 'grub'. Grubs are the larvae of a wide assortment of scarab beetles, some of which may be beneficial, or at least may not be considered too much of a pest.

Yep, pictures would help for sure.

o

There is a way of telling which Scarab Beetle those grubs came from that involves counting the hairs they have, but generally grubs produce things like June Beetles and Japanese Beetles, among others.
The larva of Ground Beetles looks much different.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here