Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White worms in Potted plants !

Posted by hemashree 8B (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 25, 10 at 18:26

Hi,

just bought 2 plants yesterday from a Sale.[that was a mistake :( realized only later]

While transferring them to the pots, found some 1/4 inch white worms and also a few black bug like thing in the root soil. What are these? Good? or Bad for the plant?
If they are going to harm the plants how to get rid of them.
Kindly suggest, as I am new to Gardening.
should I re pot them with new soil.
Please suggest a solution.
Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White worms in Potted plants !

Any chance of pictures?

o

the photos are here !
have not found any black bug later on.
i disposed off the ones which were there.
though found these.

link for the photos > http://picasaweb.google.com/109078447128567897634/ImagesWhatAreThese#

Here is a link that might be useful: http://picasaweb.google.com

o

They look like wireworms and I wouldn't call them white.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wireworm control

o

Small whiteish, orangeish, grayish, wiggly thingys in soils are the larva of one of a number of, usually not large problem, insects such as Fungus Gnats. Most often the potting soils will have the eggs the produce these larva and when the right mixture of soil moisture and temperature are found these eggs hatch and slowly pupate into the adults.
The simplest means of control of these soil borne larva is to allow the potting soil to dry out (near the surface) between waterings since the major reason the eggs hatch is because the soil is kept too wet.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 29, 10 at 23:58

To me they look like millipedes. If so, they're scavengers and commonly found in high organic soils and places. No remedy needed.

Seriously doubt they're wireworms. Wireworms are bright shiny golden yellow, and have only 3 pair of quite small legs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here