Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ifraser25

Weird disease problem

ifraser25
10 years ago

This is a disease problem I've never seen in 50 years of gardening and it is killing many of the plants in my garden as well as most of my seedlings and cuttings. The leaves of the plants curl up, not droop and THERE IS NO ROOT DAMAGE.
I have tried several remedies including an expensive systemic fungicide, without effect. We have had many months of hot, humid weather and I was really betting it was a microfungus. There is no leaf burn or sign of insect pests. If anyone has any ideas I would really welcome them as I am getting desperate. NOT ALL PLANTS ARE AFFECTED. Some appear to be immune ie. African Marigold, Cosmos, Indian Azalea, Carnations, Tomatoes and a number of others and there are also some weirdnesses ie. Sunpatiens and New Guinea Impatiens are affected but not Brazilian impatiens (Impatiens walleriana). Ixora coccinea is affected but the dwarf form is not !! I have been using a commercial compost for the cuttings and seedlings. - Ian.

Comments (10)

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Please post images of at least some of the affected plants.

• ifraser25
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry no photos, but you would not learn anything more than I have told you.

• eibren
    10 years ago

The variation in effect could be a clue. Does it match the amount of compost used--did they possibly add some fertilizer or other substance that was not completely mixed and burned some plants? Where do they get their compost from? What's in it?

How large is your planting area? Is the damage possibly related to wind currents from an area where herbicides or other harmful substances may have been applied?

Maybe others will have better ideas---

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

I too am thinking herbicide damage (wind or in the compost or ?), but without pix its a bit tough to diagnose.

tj

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Well, images often do "tell" us more than you said, many times emphatically so. The reason is that descriptions -- words -- are interpreted according to each individual's experiences and more.

At this point, I'm guessing herbicide damage, especially because of the comment about curled but don't wilt. But a number of your details don't fit herbicide contamination and/or drift.

Further, I don't know what materials you have in Brazil.

Here, certain herbicides that are used in agriculture and pastures go through the animals intact, then affect garden plants after the manures are applied to the garden.

So images would truly help us help you. Perhaps a friend, relative, neighbor can help you with the digital images.

• ifraser25
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No herbicide damage. We very rarely use it. This disease has been around for a while, and only this year has it exploded. Possibly because it has been one of the driest on record, though still very humid. I am thinking Panama Disease but the symptoms are not typical. I'm taking samples to our local phytopathology lab on Monday. Keep you posted. - Ian

• jean001a
    10 years ago

You don't have to use herbicide to have plant damage.
    It can move from elsewhere via air currents and it can be in contaminated organic material.

• ifraser25
    Original Author
    10 years ago

WHITE SPIDER MITES. Too small to see with the naked eye but clear under the microscope. I am treating with a specific acaricide. Will post results. - Ian.

• ifraser25
    Original Author
    10 years ago

NOT white spider mites. Despite applying a specific acaricide, many plants continue sick, though not dying quite so quickly. The spider mite infestation may have been secondary as the plants were already weakened by something else. I am now looking into contamination of the water supply. THIS IS A BEAST of a problem.

• ifraser25
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No water contamination. I have conducted several experiments and come to the conclusion that this is an airborne fungus disease. The symptoms are not typical of verticillium or fusarium wilts and I have ruled them out anyway by sowing seed in sterilized soil. I don't understand the mechanism of this. The spores must enter the plant via the stomata. This might explain why some species which have dwarf forms with very small stomata are resistant but the type species is not (Ixora coccinea) and why it is principally the upper part of the plant that is affected. However, I admit I am out of my depth here. The disease is somewhat on the wane now after we have had some heavy rain, which further supports the airborne fungal disease theory. I'm just hoping it doesn't recur next year, but to be on the safe side I'm going to do all my seed sowing and cuttings preparation early in the season.