Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any Ant Experts Out There?

Posted by summerstar Z7VA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 18:33

I'm having trouble with ants in my garden shed. They love to set up nests in anything like straw or any loose, dry material; even burlap! Do you know the name of this type of ant? It would help an awful lot if I could identify them so I can treat my shed with the right product. Not all ants respond to the same bait. They take up residence in my shed every year. Having this many ants around isn't good. I've done some checking on the internet but thought I'd posting here first would be best. Thanks much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any Ant Experts Out There?

Are these ants large and black or smallish and red? I've not had ants take up nesting in anything dry since they need moisture.
Boric Acid is the poison of choice for controlling ants, mixed in either sugar water or a greasy something, but some recipes call for too much which can mean the ants never get back to the nest. Recipes I have seen suggest mixing anywhere from 1 to 5 percent which is not very helpful for most of us.

Here is a link that might be useful: ant baits

o
RE: Any Ant Experts Out There?

These ants are medium small and dark brown I think. I never looked at them up close. I have firewood stacked about two feet from the garden shed and ended throwing about half the firewood into the woods next our property. The ants had eggs under the bark of the wood and they got into the inside of some of the pieces! I wasn't going to bring that into the house. And in the shed I threw out two garbage bags full of stored straw cause they set up nets in both bags! They're awful!

I don't know how to describe them. I think they are the same ants that get into the house and love sugar, but I can't be positive about that. They're about the same size as those I find in the garden shed. They're elsewhere in the garden too. They are usually busy running around in long lines on the sidewalk in the backyard, moving their nests from place to place. Wish I could give you more info.

If anyone else knows what kind of an ant this is that makes it's home in dry material, I'd sure appreciate hearing from you. Thanks much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here