Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizard713_gw

Black spots on jade

Lizard713
9 years ago

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my jade? The leaves have black spots, the spots are rough feeling and do not wipe off. It has been indoors for the last 6 months or so for the winter. It is some sort of fungus? Can this be healed?

Comments (4)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

is there drainage in that pot??

i grow it as a cactus... and a pot w/o drainage would not be good

regardless ... your focus is improper.. look at the newest freshest growth ... are there spots?:??

i dont see any ...

so one might suggest.. that whatever the insult ... the problem is gone ...

was this outdoors last summer... if so.. the insult may have happened then ...

finally ... no matter what it is.. dissuade yourself.. from thinking it can be 'healed' ... those marks will be there forever ... they will not go away ...

there is a rather active houseplant forum... you might find someone there with direct experience with this ...

good luck .. frankly.. that looks like a healthy plant [based on its fresh growth] .... lets try not to love it to death ... nor spending money fixing a problem that might be gone ...

ken

• Growing-or-Dying
    9 years ago

I am having this same issue with my jade plant. I've had it for years, it's become huge! I've never seen these black spots before and the leaves are falling off at an alarming rate. There is new growth as well, but I'm concerned if I don't do something the falling may overtake the growing D:
    Seems like it could possibly be a fungus. I hardly ever water it. Not sure if I should pull off the leaves with black spots or what to do..

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Lizard, since you mention that the leaves are bumpy, I am going to suggest edema, a common disorder on jade plants. It's caused by a disfunctional watering pattern.

Are you positive that those round black spots are part of the tissue and won't dislodge? Because I thought that they were scale insects, at first.

I worry a little about your choice of container and the pea gravel covering the surface of the potting mix. Both will impede the evaporation of moisture from the soil volume and prevent the free exchange of gases between the container medium and the air outside the container. All of that is important to a jade and could lead to edema, root rot, and other problems.

We can just hope that the mix you've chosen is very coarse textured. Jade plants, like other succulents, like to be thoroughly drenched on watering day but then the entire soil volume must be allowed to dry out. I'm sure that you see that your plant might have a problem in its current set up. Edema could very well be a result of such growing conditions.

I suggest that you visit the Cacti and Succulents Forum with pictures. It's quite active with experienced jade growers.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Lizard, since you mention that the leaves are bumpy, I am going to suggest edema, a common disorder on jade plants. It's caused by a disfunctional watering pattern.

Are you positive that those round black spots are part of the tissue and won't dislodge? Because I thought that they were scale insects, at first.

I worry a little about your choice of container and the pea gravel covering the surface of the potting mix. Both will impede the evaporation of moisture from the soil volume and prevent the free exchange of gases between the container medium and the air outside the container. All of that is important to a jade and could lead to edema, root rot, and other problems.

We can just hope that the mix you've chosen is very coarse textured. Jade plants, like other succulents, like to be thoroughly drenched on watering day but then the entire soil volume must be allowed to dry out. I'm sure that you see that your plant might have a problem in its current set up. Edema could very well be a result of such growing conditions.

I suggest that you visit the Cacti and Succulents Forum with pictures. It's quite active with experienced jade growers.