Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coyote problem

Posted by ericbig Oregon (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 18:39

I hopping someone could give me advice on keeping coyote's out of my raised beds. I live in Portland, Oregon next to a wildlife refuge. On several occasions my wife and I have seen Coyotes across/down the street before going to work in the morning. Last Summer I had a problem with what looked liked Dog fesses in my raised beds right on/or next to my vegetable plants. Some of sprout ups did not make it. So, I'm guessing Coyote's are my getting in my back yard in the middle of the night. I recently started weeding and preparing the beds for planting this season but there are fresh dog feces in my beds just about every morning and I am hesitant. Please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coyote problem

Fencing.

o

I have my back yard fenced off. Their either jumping over the fence or coming up through through a narrow gap in the front between my garage and side fence. I don't want to put chicken wire around the beds. I was looking for another solution.

o

Gosh eric, other than improving your fencing, I don't know what your other options might be. Are you using some kind of fertilizer that might attract them?

o

Wolf urine? 8-)

tj

o

Shoot them or failing that sprinkle cayenne pepper around your garden. You have to replenish that frequently but maybe once they're turned off from that spot they won't come back.

o

if you know where your fence fails.. fix the failure ... crikey man ...

i wonder if human scent would work ... wink.. wink .. which would involve a barrel of beer.. and 90 of your closest friends ...

ken

o

If using urine to deter anything actually worked then you would not find coyotes anywhere near where wolves and bears lived, but they do share the same habitat in the wild and often even share the same food source although at different times.
If coyotes are getting into your garden there is something that is attracting them there, but your best option to keep them out is good, tight fencing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here