Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unknown pest on plants and walls

Posted by jcarney3 none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 12, 12 at 18:47

I seem to have some sort of pest I've never seen before. I guess I don't know if it is a harmful pest, but I've never seen these things in all my years of indoor growing.

They're these tiny, brown/dark maroon, almost teardrop-shaped pods/shells. It's almost like they're some sort of tiny cocoon. But there are several of them - probably a hundred scattered about - always attached to something, and under the direct light.

They're attached to the walls and leaves of many of my plants. One of the pictures shows one of these hard-shelled "pods" attached to a grapefruit leaf. The other is shown next to a dime in order to give a grasp of size.

See link for pictures:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/20/imag0124xc.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/713/imag0125b.jpg/

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unknown pest on plants and walls

Here are the pix. Not sure my mature vision can determine anything other than scale...maybe.

tj

o

Can't see what they are, but am wondering if they are baby snails.

o

Still nothing? They are not baby snails. And it's not scale, either.

Help?

o

Have you used any natural wood mulch in your containers?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here