Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
big red ants

Posted by dinajean upstate SC - Z7 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 29, 09 at 19:17

Last year I listened to a bug show on NPR radio and started using ANT BAIT to kill the red fire ants in my yard. It has worked wonderful. I sit and watch as they take the bait and run back into the hole with it and say YAY look, then they all eat it and die, instead of just moving over 10 feet and starting a new ?colony?

I have a second piece of property and found HUGE red ants, they tear the ground up and have several large holes in one area instead of just one hole. I scattered some ant bait and watched. The lttle suckers went to work right away BUT I watched in awe as they ran down the several holes and took back out what bait fell in and layed it away from the hole. ALL of them were doing it. THEY ARE SMART.
Do they sting like the little ones?
How do I kill them if they wont take the bait??
Thanks for any help!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: big red ants

Since ants, except Fire Ants, are part of Ma Natures recycling machine and play an important role in helping to maintain the environment we live in why do you feel the need to kill them?
If what you have are Fire Ants this web site can aid in controlling them, but they are the only ants that do need control as long as the ants stay out side.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Fire Ants

o

dinajean, would it be possible for you to capture some of these ants and take them to your county extension office for identification?

As to whether they sting or not, that depends upon the species of ant. All species can bite, but not all of them sting.

o

I am sure I can capture one or two and bring to extension office, that is indeed a good idea.
They are large like carpenter ants and have made several areas of large holes in my lawn that cave in when I walk over it, I am not trying to be inhumane, I am trying to save my lawn.
That said, what would y'all do?

o

I'd have them identified so that I could make a smarter decision about what to do. You've already learned that they don't react to fire ant bait. I wouldn't apply another pesticide without knowing 'who' you're up against. Make sense?

Be sure to let us know what you find out.

o

What are those big red things? Make holes in yard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here