Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eggshells vs. Slugs. Does it work?

Posted by tylermaster195 Western Washington (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 14, 11 at 19:47

Last year I had a horrible time keeping slugs out of my garden. I read something about crushed egg shells. I don't want to use chemicals because of animals. So if you have tried egg shells my question is does it work? and how effective?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eggshells vs. Slugs. Does it work?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 14, 11 at 21:00

How many hundred of pounds of shells do you have?

In W Washington, I'm going to say no. Slugs are such an every day part of gardening here, it takes a combination of things to keep them under control (notice I did not say gone). You could try some egg shells around some susceptible things like hosta, but you really need one of the environmentally friendly (iron phosphate) baits too like Worry Free, Sluggo, even Ortho makes one called Ecosense that is safe for children, pets, wildlife. Beer traps are helpful.

Besides the baits, I go out at night armed with a flashlight and a pump spray of 1/3 household ammonia, 2/3 water and spritz slugs - won't harm foliage, won't harm you, and they are gone in a heartbeat.

One more tip, be persistent and stay on top of them well into Fall - Fall, because that's when most eggs are being laid. I'm baiting just about every month but January.

o

Sorry, they don't work. That's what slime is for -- to protect against sharp stuff.

Beyond that, do as the previous post suggests -- be persistent and you can limit their damage. But know that you won't be able to stop them. No one can.

o

Well I work in a bakery and we use at least a box of 15 dozen eggs a day. How well does coffee work? if you have tried it. I will probably do some beer traps (Hope the dog doesn't get to them first...) and will try the slug bait. How do normally apply? around the base of the plant or perimeter of the garden?

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 15, 11 at 11:32

around the base of the plant or perimeter of the garden? - Both.

Coffee - does not work at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here