Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjgw

Ants w/ aphid eggs in soil?

cjgw
9 years ago

A couple of months ago, I tilled a bunch of compost into the soil in my garden beds and covered them with plastic to prevent weeds. Today when I pulled up the plastic to get the soil ready for planting, one section of the soil was teeming with ants carrying little white things that looked like eggs. I've read some things about ants farming aphids and other pests and I think that might be what's going on.

Short of removing and replacing the soil in that area, what can I do about this at this stage? I imagine it's better to find them now than after I already have things growing. How can I nip this in the bud without setting me back for too long? I really want to get started planting!

I've read a few things about dealing with aphids that have infested plants. What about when their eggs aree in the soil itself and ants are involved? I'm not sure if these are aphid eggs the ants are carrying. It just sounds like it from what I've read. The ants seem to be coming up from pretty deep in the soil. Help!

Comments (6)