Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fungus on tree?

Posted by wilson1 7 G%27boro NC (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 26, 12 at 20:50

There are several of these "balls" on a fir tree in my yard and I have no idea what they are or what I should do with them. Does anyone know? How harmful are they to the tree? What are they?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fungus on tree?

its is a juniper.

and its juniper rust.. apple rust...

juniper is a host tree.. and the real problem is on other plants ...

there have been a couple posts directly on point .. i think in the trees and/or conifer forums ...

ken

o

Juniper-Hawthorn, aka Cedar Apple, Rust is more of a problem on fruiting trees such as Apples and Crabapples. While unsightly on these alternate host trees, Junipers, Hawthorns, Cedars, they really cause no harm. They can be easily controlled by cutting the galls off the tree and dropping them into a sealable plastic bag and sending them out with the trash.
It is most unlikely that any fungicide is necessary since it would have little, if any, affect on the galls now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Juniper-Hawthorn Rust

o

Thanks for that information. Now I know what it is and what to do about it. This GardenWeb site is invaluable to me!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here