Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenmomma11

Over run by Rodents

GardenMomma11
10 years ago

At first, the squirrels were cute. Then I started noticing the neighbors feeding them until they grew to the size of house cats. I also started noticing more and more holes from chipmunks around my yard every spring. These things are taking over my yard. We are planning to do a lot of over hauling in our yard this year and I'd like to know how to either eradicate or live in peace without these guys tearing up my yard.

The chipmunks are especially out of control! I'm worried about someone twisting to breaking an ankle in the holes they dig at random. Last year we tried some of those cheap smoke bombs and those didn't seem to work at all. The only thing I'd rather not try is a live trap because we just do not have the time to drive these things miles and miles away every day.

I would love your suggestions. Thanks!!

Comments (13)

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Chipmunks digging holes? Holes big enough to twist an ankle? I don't think so. Maybe you have marmots.

In any case, get a couple of cats and stand back. (Two+ cats so they can play with each other and not make you crazy.)

- A Cat Person

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

you really need to ID what you are dealing with... before we can recommend solutions ...

ken

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Momma, I'm aware that chipmunks can cause that kind of damage and more. But I agree that you need to make sure that squirrels and chipmunks are all that you're dealing with.

Relocation might not be a legal option in NYS.....did you check? It's illegal to transport pest animals in many states. Poison is never a good option due to the chance that nontarget animals can ingest it by accident.

In the past, many people have commented on the success of a homemade 'bucket trap ', which requires a five gallon bucket, sunflower seed or peanuts, a few gallons of water, and a board or limb to act as a plank. Google 'bucket trap for chipmunks '.

I don't know of any humane method of eliminating them, but you should decide on something before they begun to tunnel under your house or decide to chew their way into your attic.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

a rat trap.. baited with peanut butter... or a wired on nut .... next to an tunnel hole that is active .. under a large pot will work for chippies ...

i once thought i had hundreds of them ...

i trapped about 3.. and they were gone.. lol.. hyperactive little !()&%& .. lol ..

life is not a disney movie.. either live with them.. or deal with them.. but no complaining ...

if you personally cant deal with it ,.. hire professional rodent control ....

ken

ps: you crush all the holes.. and work at ones that are reopenned ... meaning.. they are active ...

• GardenMomma11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They are definitely chipmunks digging the holes. I have seen them actively digging and popping in and out of them last summer. This spring, I have already found 4 new holes. There could possibly be more. The holes are 2-3" in diameter. Upon first look, I thought they were something else as well due to the size as well. We do have 2 indoor cats I could try letting them roam around the yard.

As far as the squirrels are concerned, I'd like to keep them out of my veggie garden and prevent the pits the dig while looking for their nuts in the spring. We do have several large oaks, so I am not sure this is something I will ever be able to control.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Chipmunks are very territorial and do not cluster in high densities. Like ken says, you probably have only a few. Cats will help but that depends on the cat. I have one that is deadly on chippies, catching seemingly without much effort. Others either don't care or hunt them with few catches. YMMV.

Personally I don't mind having chippies around. They really aren't very successful as pests and are totally cute.

Squirrels, OTOH, can be a PITA. No easy solution for them, though. Catch the ones near your house and others will move right in.

Cats will help just with the intimidation factor, but squirrel kill ratio will be low even with the real hunters.

Good luck,
    Dennis

• GardenMomma11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all your responces and ideas! I think I may have missed one or two responces this morning with a busy baby running around.

I'm not sure as to the legality of live transport, but it seems like such a PITA I didn't really want to have to go that route. I just haven't had many ideas about this, but someone at a local garden center had mentioned it last year.

The bucket trap and the rat trap sound like good options, especially if it does end up being a few of them. I am very worried about them tunneling in and under our home. I have already seen the holes on the edges of the patio and they also live in our retaining walls. One was staring me right in the face from about a foot away in the retaining wall the day be for yesterday.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

I hope that you were kidding about trying to use your indoor cats. :-) What a terrible idea!

Let us know what you decide to do and how it works.

• GardenMomma11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was. I understand that their intimidation factor is short lived as they aren't really hunters. On occasion when they do go outside, they never step foot off the patio. It would take a lot of cat treats to get to wander the yard. They do enjoy watching the wild critters outside though.

My husband is very interested in the bucket trap. That will be the first thing we try. I hope it works!!

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

> " It would take a lot of cat treats to get to wander the yard."

Nah. Every cat is almost terminally curious. It will take them a while to get used to being outside, but soon enough they will own the yard. However, you can't expect them to do it with 15 and 30 minute visits to the patio. You'll have to leave them out for hours.

They aren't declawed, I hope.

• Bruce74
    10 years ago

Cats are great hunters,and if you can get 2-3 kittens from a shelter and raise them together as indoor outdoor cats they will pack hunt and you will get squirrels almost every day. BUT cat's are a big invasive pest in their own right, so be careful, some of your neighbors may not be happy that you are letting the cats hunt squirrels, and in some places it may be illegal to let your cats outside.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

Rat snap traps under a bucket is the best solution. You'll catch them quickly. Close up all the holes and watch next day for reopened holes and set traps there. Bury or trash the dead varmints.

Or stand on your deck with a shotgun. Very gratifying. Lol

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

Rat snap traps under a bucket is the best solution. You'll catch them quickly. Close up all the holes and watch next day for reopened holes and set traps there. Bury or trash the dead varmints.

Or stand on your deck with a shotgun. Very gratifying. Lol