Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matthew18_gw

chipmunk control

matthew18
14 years ago

What are your top three ways of getting rid of chipmunks. Lethal options very welcome :)

Comments (10)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    14 years ago

1. Feral cats
    2. Coopers Hawk mated pair in the area
    3. Great horned owl just fledged a chick in the area.

tj

P.S. Eating my tomatoes seems to be the worst that they do and cayenne pepper stops that.

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

Traps, but then you need to decide what to do with the trapped chipmunks. Most all states prohibit transporting wild animals without a license and freeing wild life from one area into another habitat most often gets this newbie killed by the present inhabitants because there probably is not enough food to share.
    Chipmunks can do much more damage then just eating a few tomatoes. The tunneling they do can undermine a structure which can cause expensive repairs.

• matthew18
    Original Author
    14 years ago

got two using the swimming pool technique....question:
    will chipmunks eat garlic bulbs?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    14 years ago

Never had chipmunks eat my garlic bulbs.

tj

• mdh52
    13 years ago

OK here's what Ortho WON'T admit and will even deny, no doubt for PC reasons: their rat bait (the green ball looking stuff) absolutely eradicates them. You only need to create some sort of makeshift rainproof "hotel"--I used bricks for walls and a flat cinder block for a roof and placed one each front and backyard, set a single bait tray inside, and ALL my furry little problems disappeared in 2 weeks or less.
    Now you may need to have an infestation so serious that they're gobbling everything in sight before they'll eat the stuff--that I don't know--but my infestation was that serious, and the damage they were doing even inside my house had driven me crazy.
    Lord I hope the PETA police don't locate me here in uh...Outer Zambizi....

• Kimmsr
    13 years ago

Putting out poison baits is not a very environmentally friendly way to control any pest since that is very non selective and is well known to also harm domestic animals such as pets. Because of that potential problem some places have banned the sale of poison baits.

• kokos
    13 years ago

Who's "Ortho"?

I just use my bait stations....black plastic rugged kind that keeps the bait dry inside. Nothing else you can do. I don't see too may chipmunks around here anyway, just squirrels and coons.

• WildCo
    13 years ago

Rodenticide is legal in my state ONLY if it is in a locked container, i.e. professional bait station.

I use a professional professional rodenticide that is an anticoagulant. It works well on chipmunks. If the infestation is bad, it will take a little while. Persistence is the key.

Yes, it is non-selective but the bait stations help restrict its contact to small mammals, mainly rodents.

Trapping is a great alternative to rodenticide. It just takes more time and effort. You need to place large rodent snap traps in a tube of some kind to reduce your bycatch, such as birds.

Here is a link that might be useful: WildCo Wildlife and Pest Management

• plnelson
    12 years ago

A few weeks ago chipmunks started attacking my tomatoes and they've stripped 4 of my 6 plants. So a few days ago I decided to get serious and I went shopping. Yesterday I set out a small Havahart trap, a medium Havahart trap, and a Rat Zapper Ultra electronic trap. So far they've managed to steal the bait from the medium-sized trap without tripping it, or they trip it but they're so fast that they get out before it closes. But the laugh's on them - the bait is One Bite Bar - a bromadiolone based rodenticide.

The small Havahart trap has trapped 2 of them, which I drowned in a utility bucket filled with water.

The Rat Zapper Ultra has also killed two of them.

All of this is just in the first 24 hours. I can hear a lot more chipmunks out in the woods around my house so this might go on for awhile.

• plnelson
    12 years ago

OK here's what Ortho WON'T admit and will even deny, no doubt for PC reasons: their rat bait (the green ball looking stuff) absolutely eradicates them.

The problem with poison bait is that you end up poisoning whatever eats the chipmunk.

It's much better to kill chipmunks outright. I've had good luck with a Rat Zapper Ultra and also with small Havahart traps that I just toss into a utility bucket filled with water - they drown in seconds.