Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ash0587

Red spots, need some help please

ash0587
10 years ago

Hello all,
I just joined the forum because I've been having serious problems with this red spotting disease and I can't figure out what it is. To me it looks like peony blotch but I'm not sure since it's on almost everything in my yard including spots of grass. it's already on my rhododendron this year and it's destroying everything. If I knew what it was I think I could combat it better. I'm including a link to my photobucket of several different plants and weeds in my yard that have the spotting on them. I think on the picture of the rhododendron there are two problems going on with the plant but I"m not sure.
here's the album. http://s767.photobucket.com/user/ashleyandmason2009/library/plants%20with%20diseases

thanks for any help!

Comments (3)

• jean001a
    10 years ago

It happens when the flowers get old. Excess moisture on the blooms. If it's rain, there's little to do except rig temporary protection.

I looked at your other photos. Spots are different on the various plants. For some, looks like winter damage (a bit too cold, but short of killing leaves), for others spots are on senescing leaves which should be removed.

The fern fronds need to be removed so that new growth can take over.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

it also helps to not have sprinklers hitting anything in bloom.. and that is why flower growers prefer bottom watering ...

i could not get your PB acct to open.. perhaps you already removed such ...

you can load the pix into your post.. by copy/pasting the HTML code from PB .. right where you type.. on preview. if you see it.. we will see it .. many pix.. in one post ...

otherwise i am usually too lazy to do it myself.. lol.. and the one time i do.. it wont open.. lol

welcome to GW.. come and visit the perennial and annual forums ... we need more action ...

ken

• ash0587
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for the info on how to load pix. All of these pics are from last fall, and I water by walking around with a hose. I don't use sprinklers because of how spaced out all of my gardens are.
    this is one of the leaves on my rose in the front of the house that had some of the spotting on it

a perennial in the front of the house, can't remember which kind of flower it is

spotting on the strawberries I have in planters on the back patio. the strawberries seem to have it the worst.

This is my rhododendron. the back lower leaf has one of the red/purple spots but then it also had those yellowy red spots. gotta get a pic of it today because its already got purple spots going on it again.

Thanks again for help and suggestions. and thanks jean for the info you gave!