Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dying grass and trees

Posted by Michellers Minnesota (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 20, 12 at 22:55

Hi, I'm desperate here. Last fall my grass and lilac bushes started mysteriously dying. One lilac bush completely died and did not come back this spring. This spring all the grass around several of the lilac bushes and around a sumac tree (not bush) is dead. The sumac tree which has been very healthy and growing very well for several years is suddenly dead. It appears it leafed out and then died this spring. Several of the lilac bushes in the area leafed out but are now wilting and appear to be fading fast. I don't believe lack of water is the culprit. Does anyone have any idea what would cause all this kill? I am convinced the neighbor poisoned the area to get back at me for calling the cops on his barking dogs. My husband thinks I'm over reacting. I hope so! I hope it is something silly like grubs or an odd disease.
I decided to come here for help before I continue down the road of blaming the neighbor! Should I collect a soil sample? Where would I send it and what would I have it tested for?
Thanks in advance for all your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dying grass and trees

I would suggest taking pictures of the problem areas, upload them to a hosting site such as photobucket or imageshack, then posting the links here. I first thought of poison when I read that the grass around the plants in question was dead.

o

Have you talked with the people at your county office of the University of Minnesota cooperative Extension Service about this?
Since the onset apparently was fairly sudden I would suspect a plant poison. That grass as well as plants were involved points to that as well.
Testing would confirm that but may be fairly expensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: UM CES

o

You asked the wrong crowd a leading question. I can think of three thing off the top of my head that are just as likely, none of which involve the neighbor (who is always a nitwit), all of which require more information to determine a causal relationship. Meaning, just because your neighbor is a jerk doesn't mean (s)he caused your plants to die.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here