Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bug i.d help, please-- on tangerine

Posted by dicot (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 23:12

don't recognize this guy, overly nervous about citrus bugs since the Asian psyllid scare (which this isn't). Any thoughts on what this is?

If the huanglongbing disease pops up around here, I'm hosed. Do not want to spray everything, after working so hard to get my yard fully organic.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bug i.d help, please-- on tangerine

young katydid. seldom a problem.

o

It's a very hazy picture, and I'm not sure how what young katydids look like, but my impression is that it's something like a milkweed assassin bug or young leaffooted bug. At least the body looks similar to me, though the legs look very long. It's hard to gauge the size as well.

Great to see/hear that you are using organic principles. Keep that up! There are plenty of natural substances that can be used that are annoying to critters, and keep them away.

o

Jim, look at those lovely back legs, which are perfectly suited to jumping. That should be your primary visual clue to the identity of this little thing. ;-) If you google katydid nymph, you'll see lots of images that match this one.

dicot, katydids are rarely present in enough numbers to do much damage (they chew the foliage). They are also a favorite food for such predators as spiders, mantids, dragonflies, assassin bugs, birds, lizards, etc. I'd leave it....looks like somebodies lunch, to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: katydid nymph

o

Thanks for the help, all. Man, there are some goofy looking katydids when one use google images, huh? The conehead katydid in particular looks perfectly suited to becoming the next teen viral internet meme, somehow.

o
take 2

... but not if I'm in charge of digital image codes.

o

lolol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here