Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help birds eating my grass seed!!!!!!!!

Posted by princess01 hawaii (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 21, 07 at 23:49

I live on Oahu, and we just finished planting grass seed. Lucky for me I have a lab top computer so that I can write this well chasing the birds. We used a ryegrass seed mix. How can I get rid of the birds for now? I am not sleeping out here. lol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help birds eating my grass seed!!!!!!!!

I heard these from people who claimed that they had the same problem. It's based on their observation that birds will not feed on germinated seed.
1)Sow the seeds late in the day and really water them in. 2)Soak the seeds in a non toxic coloring solution to give them a color; deep blue was her recommendation.
3)Sow the twice the quantity of seeds and get them germinating as quickly as possible. He felt that the birds were entitled.
There was one guy who gave up. He put out bird seed when he put down grass seed. "The squirrels ate the bird seed; the birds ate the grass seed!"

o

Birds eat seeds, grass seed, flower seed, sunflower seed, millet, whatever. The only way to keep them from eating seed is to cover it so they cannot find it. If raking the seed into the soil is not an option then covering it with straw wil be necessary.

o

Granted, I don't know much about the climate of Oahu, but Ryegrass seems an odd choice for this time of year. No comment about the bird situation....just curious about the ryegrass! ;-)

o

Posted by rhizo_1 7a AL (My Page) on Sun, Apr 22, 07 at 17:49

Granted, I don't know much about the climate of Oahu, but Ryegrass seems an odd choice for this time of year. No comment about the bird situation....just curious about the ryegrass! ;-)

Well you see,rhizo,the ryegrass smokes a little better than the labrador.Thanks for your concern.

For the birds question,try spreading grass cuttings on top of the seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here